compressor belt difference from 92-96..

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
snooze

compressor belt difference from 92-96..

Post by snooze »

hello,

just wanted to ask. Are there any difference for MX-3 compressors for 1.8L from year 92-96? I just had my compressor replaced and there's a problem with it, the belt for my compressor (93) was a 4 rib and it broke cause the one they put in had a 3 grooves on the wheel that turns it...

Any idea anyone, is there a fix for this? Can I get a belt that only has 3 rib for my 93 mx-3?

Thanks,
snooze
1993 Black MX-3
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

All the belt were the same for '91-98 in the 1.8 V-6

W/P, P/S belt# 4K360

Alt., A/C belt# 5K400

w/o A/C belt# 5K340

BTW the first digit is the number of ribs on the belt. If you have a pulley with only 3 grooves them you have something that does not belong on your car.

The only car that would have used a similar size 3 ribbed belt is a '87 Nissan 200SX or the pulley came from a 88-92 Probe, MX-6, 626 or a Honda Civic/ CRX/ Integra from the same years
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

this happened to me too, actually. i had a long, tiring argument with the guy who sold it to me, but he jsut insisted that that is the way they are supposed to be. irritating. it probably did come from a probe or something, since everything else is exactly the same.

i just put on a belt with 4 grooves, and it worked fine. just bring the old belt to the store and have them eyeball it to pick out a 4 groove one. we have tensioners on our car, so if the belts are approximately the right size, you're good to go. just fyi, when this first happened, i asked on this board if it'd be ok to use that belt, and someone mentioned it might be possible to wreck the bearings if the 4 groove pulley was not aligned with the other pulleys the way the 5 groove used to be. it worked fine for me, and it seemed like the alignement was very close to the same, if not identical... but just fyi...

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”