clutch or diff pin

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
lowflyinmx3

clutch or diff pin

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

I'm looking at a 92 gs and the guy said the clutch is out. he said he bought it and the clutch went out the same day. He said it happen while he was accelerating. The car will not move when you let the clutch out. it does not stall out or anything. I have never let a clutch get that bad on me so i don't know if thats possible. is there anyway that i could tell if it was the clutch or the diff pin without tearing it apart? thanks
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

It is very possible that it is the clutch. I just had the clutch go on my car which is a direct relative of the MX-3. I was up shifting exiting onto the highway. Put the clutch in and pop nothing. For whatever reason the friction facing shredded and was like mineral fiber wool inside the bellhousing. With the pressure plate all the way in there no contact or noise between what was left of the friction disc and flywheels. You know it's bad when you freak out a motorsport tranny technician.

The other possibility is a broken driveshaft at the CV joint. I had on shear right at the base of the spline but was still being supported in position by the boot. It was only when I forgot to put the car in neutral and got out to look under the car and saw the shaft on one side spinning.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Yoda wrote: The other possibility is a broken driveshaft at the CV joint. I had on shear right at the base of the spline but was still being supported in position by the boot. It was only when I forgot to put the car in neutral and got out to look under the car and saw the shaft on one side spinning.
x1 this happened to me... just driving and all of the sudden nothing... my left CV had snapped... I got out and turned the shaft with my hand independently of the wheel...
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

ok thanks. If it was the cv joint wouldn't it make some noise. i know my whined a little when it went out and i put it in gear to look at it. this makes no sound at all. it has 155,000 on it. it is possible that it was a stock clutch or is that too many miles for it to not have been replaced.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

I just saw my old clutch or should I say what was left of it. I got a box back with a splined hub, some springs, steel fingers, rivets and handful of fiberous fluff.

Did some research and this is a sign of a damaged pilot bearing in the flywheel where the friction disc breaks up into many pieces. The end result was there was on mechanical connection between the engine and wheels.
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

so your saying that could have happen to this clutch? obviously i will replace the pilot bearing but should i replaced the flywheel as well? what exact kind of damaged are we talking? like uneven wear or what? i'm curious now

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”