Quick Question!

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
V6Gav

Quick Question!

Post by V6Gav »

Just took the rear calipers off, needed 2 grind the 2 bolts which mound the caliper 2 the axle off, bought 2 new ones from Mazda and they are much much shorter than the ones i took off, found a diagram of the brakes, and that diagram has a picture of the small bolts not the long ones i took off.
Did mazda change the bolt size because of the longer ones seizing or something? just scared to fit the shorter ones incase i brake hard and the calipers come flying off. Cheers
£125 V6, be on the road sooooooooon!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Lol, it sounds like you made a mistake. The rear calipers have four bolts, just like the front ones. The ones on the top of the caliper are shorter and basically lock the caliper in place as well as hold it onto the hub. The lower two are not supposed to be taken off or loosened. They are more like hinges. You remove the top two and then rotate the caliper away from the disc. Replace the pads and rotors (if needed) and then rotate the caliper back upright and install the top two bolts. It sounds like they sold you the top two bolts since the bottom two are not really supposed to be messed with. Once you see what I'm talking about you will likely go through some emotions: 1. confusion- why would Mazda make such a funky way of removing the rear caliper; answer: Mazda didn't, Mitsubishi made the rear brakes, but yes that is a wierd set-up. 2. stupid- you are not stupid for not noticing, I think we all are stumped the first time we messed with the rear brakes. 3. respect- no need to send me a personal thank you or a post card. I enjoy helping others learn what I've messed up, but it sounds like you enjoy my personal favorite way of messing something up and learning how it works while fixing what we messed up. ;) lol.

in the off chance that I'm not even close, post a pic of the bolt that you cut, and where on the caliper it came from.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
V6Gav

Post by V6Gav »

It was the disc which was taken off so all the bolts needed taken off, and i didnt take any short bolts off the caliper at all, 3 bolts came off in total, 1 very long one which allowed to pivit the caliper off and another 2 long but not as long ones which held the caliper on 2 the axle, il try and get pics up asap, going back 2 mazda 2mz 2 c wat they say.

The whole caliper had 2 come off 4 the disc 2 come off.
£125 V6, be on the road sooooooooon!

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”