1996 BP wiring help, please!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Shades

Post by Shades »

Thanks PD, I'll have a look tomorrow and see if I can find it...

I'll let you guys figure this out... you should know which one is which. There's a '92 EGT and '96 B6 DOHC.

JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

Yeah you def. need the SOHC harness for the 1.6L MX-3. My ECU is the same one in the picture (the top one, obviously). On mine, everything plugged right in.
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

On the other side.. I think that would also indicate that the bottom ECU is VERY likely to be OBDII. I have a spare 95 DOHC ECU and looking at it.. the plug receptacles are the same as the top ECU. Or very similar. The bottom ECU looks completely different. I can post a pic if you want.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Cy

Post by Cy »

the dealership will let you photocopy anything outa the manual...

I know the SOHC isn't in the Mx-3.com online one but they should have the ECU pinout or atleast the Wire colormap in their book..
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

I agree with Tunes. It's probably OBDII. The motor you have should be OBDI, though, so with the OBDI ECU, it shouldn't be an issue.

Also, I have the SOHC wiring diagram if anyone needs it...it's actually got info for the 1.8L ECU as well...
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
Shades

Post by Shades »

Ok, I took a closer look at the wiring harness some more tonight. The ecu plugs are fine... it's the wires behind the ecu that I'm a little concerned about.

All but one plug is not the same, actually not even there... I don't care. It's the other plugs that are the same that I am concerned about... so I compared two of the same plugs. One has a wire at certain pins, and the other doesn't.

I'm willing to take the risk in pluggin' it in and but what are my chances that I'd fry something, or screw up the engine?
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

How'd everything go? Did you figure it out?
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”