Engine Question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Audessy

Engine Question

Post by Audessy »

I need to know if it is at all possible to remove the K8 engine without removing the transmission, drive axels... etc. The haynes manual for the mx-6 and probe book recommends it. I'm only looking to replace the clutch and engine, i really don't want to mess with the rest of that, i have a dirt floor :x .
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I suppose it is possible, but I would think alot faster to remove the clutch line at the clutch fork (leaving it sealed so that you do not have to bleed it later), axles and the three mounts on the trans and pull it all at once. The issue is going to be getting the trans input shaft out of the engine. There is not much room to shift the engine at an angle to get it out. You can remove the trans and not the engine easily enough, but that is b/c the trans is much smaller and has more clearance.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Audessy

Post by Audessy »

Any idea on how far the shaft goes into the engine? The car has 154K on it and I'm pretty sure I'm going to run into a lot more rusted bolts dealing with that tranny than just an engine removal. All I'm going to have is a cherry picker too. No tranny jack.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

There are 7 more bolts to get the tranny out with the enigne. Two harness plugs, one for the reverse and one for the neutral switch, the clutch line is two more bolts and the two axle bolts. Not that much more work. With the cherry picker and no trans jack it would be easier to take the whole thing out anyway since you have no way to hold the trans. I would bet you need to remove most of the tranny mounts anyway since you'll need them to be loose so you can tilt the engine.
The shaft is about 6 inches long IIRC.
Taking the tranny off the engine is 7 bolts just on the bell housing. Quit fighting it and take the whole thing out at one time. If you are just stuborn and do it all at once post your time frame so that others will see it is a waste of energy to seperate them in the engine bay.
I understand that you want to save yourself work, but trust me. I've taken many an MX-3 engine out and it is easier to do both at the same time. Again, if you only need the tranny out then it is easier to seperate them, but if you need the engine it is easier to leave them put together.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Audessy

Post by Audessy »

Hmm... I see. Alright you convinced me. About how many hours of work do you estimate it will be for removal with air tools?

Also, do you think with the age of the car is it an absolute must to replace the engine mounts with tougher ones from corksport? I'm putting in a KLZE with a ACT Stage 2 clutch and headers.

While you're at it, have you ever heard of a engine being named a KL0Z? The company marked it that with a magic marker on the intake. I just want to be sure I'm not getting a crappy probe kl03 with Mazda valve covers. The block is stamped KL 403751 if that helps.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”