Couple Motor Questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
matt_s

Couple Motor Questions

Post by matt_s »

Hey so im looking at a 92 MX-3 with the 1.8l DOHC in it, and i'm wondering; is the motor an interference motor? How often should the timing belt be changed and how hard is it to do? How long can these motors last? Whats the fuel millage like on them? and lastly How hard is it to find Parts for these motors?

Thanks
Matt
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

search for the word "interference"
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

its NOT an interference motor. not sure on the milage...ive had a diff motor for the longest time. and its not tooo bad to find parts.... its gotten alot better anyway. but it AINT no honda.. ; P (meaning you cant find parts in your cereal box.)

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
matt_s

Post by matt_s »

ok thats good to here that its not a interference motor, and what about the fuel millage? and how hard is it to work on these motors?
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

Fuel millage is kind of crappy for this small of engine, from factory it gets 20-26 MPG (give or take a few) and it depends on how you drive it to. Its alright to work on, most of the stuff is easy once you get down to doing it. Hardest thing to change is probably the timing belt, its do-able with the engine in the car but can get pretty hard suppose to change it every 95,000 kilometers. These cars can last a long time if you do your regular mantince, there a lot of people that had gotten them over 200k miles!.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I think its a pretty easy motor to work on. Everything is very straight forward. However depending on what you are doing, lack of space can be an issue. For fuel mileage i get around 300 to a tank easily with a mix of city and highway driving.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
matt_s

Post by matt_s »

300 miles or kilometers a tank?
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

miles
Looking for another Red GS.
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Smith18 wrote:Fuel millage is kind of crappy for this small of engine, from factory it gets 20-26 MPG (give or take a few) and it depends on how you drive it too.
I get over 30mpg (50kpg) in the city (huge hills, stop signs on every block). Granted I drive the 1.6, but I can't imagine the 1.8 gets 4-10mpg less. A tank generally lasts close to 500km
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

My mx loves gas, mmm mmm mmm Premium 3.30 WOOO

no the v6 is not an interference motor, its a hemisphere though :)

a k8 should get around 25mpg, maybe a little more if you learn to keep it below 3k rpms (always hard to do)
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”