O2 sensor "break"

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
kudkudniyog

O2 sensor "break"

Post by kudkudniyog »

Has anyone experience a seized up O2 sensor falling apart or breaking w/ the thread in the manifold while removing it?

What did you do when it happened?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I think that will happen to mine, I tried to remove the front O2 off my headers and it seems seized, but i am not forcing it off because I do not want to run into your issue lol.

JB WELD it or weld the new one on.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Take the manifold off the engine & unbolt it from the exaust system. Put it in a vice and drill the sucker out.. careful not to hit the threads of the bung as you drill it out.. if you mess up the threads you will have to retap them or use a helicoil to repair them well enough to install a new O2 sensor. If this is more than you want to attempt.. remove the manifold and take it to a automotive machine shop.. they will probably charge you $40-$60 to get the old one out.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Tunes67 wrote: they will probably charge you $40-$60 to get the old one out.

Tunes67
Sonds like alot more work than it's worth since most wxhaust shops will just weld in a new O2 bung for $20 with no labor taking off the manifold.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Ehh.. I was guessing on price.. better to guess high and be pleasantly surprised that guess low and go into sticker shock ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

i had one break off while removing it, nothing that a drill wont get out :)
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

If its not broken yet but feels seized put some serious heat to it, Get it red hot and then try to remove it.
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I'm going to attempt this, in about a week. I'm trying what the Haynes manual says. Turn the car on for about 5 minutes. To get the manifold hot. Then use an oxygen sensor socket to get it off. Basically, it's a socket that has an opening for the harness to escape. We'll see if it works.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
kudkudniyog

Post by kudkudniyog »

Sensor is off. I used a O2 sensor socket. However, some parts of the threads on the sensor seemed to have fused w/ thread on the manifold. I'm going to a maching shop to have it tapped w/ new threads.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”