V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Steve_SK

Post by Steve_SK »

What about carbon knock?
MX-3 V6 1993 | Black | EU-spec | K819
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Have you pulled your valve cover(s) yet and checked your valve train visually? Also make sure your spark plugs are all tightened to the proper spec.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
comish71

Post by comish71 »

wow, it does sound like a tractor! from your initial description i was thinking about a spun bearing (rod bearing) but if this is really up in the valvetrain then its got to be something else.

i agree with pulling the plugs and make sure that one is't being tapped by its piston however if your plug is being tapped that hard then it will be ruined and the car will be running on 5 cylinders. also if there is anything in the crank/rod/piston to throw the overall length off that much then something is bigtime wrong.

if they're ok then you have to consider a bent valve or broken spring/retainer. not too many more things up there that i could think of.

if you were seriously considering getting a 2.5 ze or de and you were looking for a reason to get one i think you've found it!! unless you will be doing the work yourself it may cost a pretty penny at the dealer or mechanic. short of changing a spring or valve by yourself then it will be costly.
1993 MX-3, KLZE, HOTSHOT HEADERS, CUSTOM EXHAUST WITH WALKER QUIETFLOW, K&N INTAKE, DIGITAL 6, QUAIFE LSD, FIDANZA FLYWHEEL, CLUTCHMASTER STAGE 3, GROUND CONTROL COILOVERS
14.32 @ 95.4mph
SpudgunBlunder

Post by SpudgunBlunder »

Hi all. Thanks for all the suggestions. I've finally managed to upload the film if it helps at all.

Everyone that I've asked to look and listen to the engine in person says it's top end around cylinder 1. It's not the timing belt tensioner as I took the cover back to look and listen.

The noise does quieten after 2000rpm or so, like the friction gear failing but they both seemed fine. Not possible to turn by hand, only with a screw driver on the teeth.

I'm going to be running another car in the next week or 2 so I'm going to have time to strip the car and take more time to investigate. I want to run the car without the manifold and valve covers on. I'll get sprayed with oil but it may show the fault?

I'm wondering whether to sell it as is, per server and repair it then sell it, or take the time and do a full rebuild. What you reckon? pricey?
Mazda MX-3 1995 waiting for CarPC to be installed.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

ok well... I know you've said you checked the timing belt tensioner etc...BUT

Yours sounds more mechanical but the same thing happened to me only maybe not as loud... I thought my motor was shot because it was so freaking loud and I was really getting worried... until one night I got on the highway and I thought my engine had blown. It turns out I had a rip in my timing belt and all that clacking was something to do with the belt everytime it went around the different tensioners under the cover until it finally snapped. This went on for about a month before it broke and it got louder and louder until it gave way.

All's I know is mine sounded about as bad as yours... could be something else... but this was my experience with my klze mx-3.

good luck!
SpudgunBlunder

Post by SpudgunBlunder »

:oops: Once again I've ignored good advise and the most obvious cause of the problem. (I think-not fixed just yet)

I ripped out the cams and HLA's again to dismantle the HLA's.
I didn't bother putting the cam belt covers back on cos it's a ball ache.
When I fired it up the noise still sounded like it came from the top end but I could see the cam belt tensioner resonating to the sound.
I should have known the tensioner was too weak to be ok but then I've never taken off a cam belt before.

I took a few vids. Not great quality but anyway.

(New cam belt and tensioner on the way)
(But still want to fix the old one)
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... e8b030e729
Mazda MX-3 1995 waiting for CarPC to be installed.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”