a/c removal modd.

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdamx3sohc

a/c removal modd.

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

i wanna take out my air conditioner, i heard it will give you more power because your using a shorter belt and lighening up the cars weight. i have the SOHC does anyone know ABOUT how much of a gain i will get, and possibly wich belt i will need? i know autozone has an option of the belt with or without a/c so i dunno if that will work. but if anyone has some gain numbers and possibly a belt part number i would..uh....probably say thank you very much and i deffinetely would appreciate it.
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

honestly it wont be much of a gain...... i personally havent tried it since i dont have a/c but i seriously cant see it being much.... its probably not very noticeable if it even is at all
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

i hear its pretty damn noticable cuz you get a smaller belt so it turns quicker and rotations are less
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

If your ac was broken I could see removing it. But if it still works then you would see a loss of cold air and not many gains. My AC went out and I didn't have the money to replace parts at the time so I removed it. No gains were really seen, And the pulley will still turn the same if the belt was changed.
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

oh aiight, well my ac needs a recharge kinda, anyways, also its a sohc so when i turn it on i lose lots of power do to a stupid stock alternator.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

The alternator doesn't take as much power as you think unless you have a problem with your electrical system like a bad battery or a grounding issues or you have a lot of aftermarket eletronic equipment.

Over about 3500rpm the waterpump creates big parasitic loss. Removing the mechanical waterpump frees up about 8-10whp at peak in testing. Running the waterpump at a constant 3000-3200rpm whether at idle or WOT also gave the best engine cooling results.

The P/S pump also has similar issues at the higher rpms creating a lot more parasitic loss than if it were running a much lower rpm

On the low end if you still have a stock clutch with a MTX you can expect at least a 5-7hp loss from when the car was new and the more mile on the clutch the more the lose.

Ther is a part on the exhaust that no one makes aftermarket bolt on upgrade that is actually mazda's P/N# for a 1.3L engine in a 323 in other countries. As it gets older is actually reduces in size and this parts is used on all the SOHC B series engine and the BP-DE.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

i saw your name and knew there was gunna be a lot to read yoda lol. im not understanding what you mean about removing the waterpump thing or whatever, also, my electrical should be fine, i have a brand new battery, had a ground kit (sucked so took it off) and i am not running any extra electrical except the occassional fog lights.
XL200

Post by XL200 »

I definately recommend removing the ac for your sohc if you dont mind rolling down the windows in summer. It helped my sohc most noticabley at an idle. with the ac the car idled lower and shuddered at low speeds but once i took it out and got a new non-ac sohc belt i never had that problem. If you removed all the ac components you prolly will shave off a good 30lbs of weight in metal so not a huge gain in terms of weight reduction but every little bit counts=)
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

exactly man, thats what i like to hear...i had money for it, yoda said it did nothing...now i dont have the money for it anymore...
XL200

Post by XL200 »

well taking the ac out is easy and its only like $20 for a non ac belt. However if you do remove the ac i recommend leaving the condenser in because it sits infront of the radiator and will protect it from rocks and the sort but thats ur call.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

meh, i dont have any rock problems around here really lol...and if it breaks my radiator, well thats all the more reason to go out and buy a high flow huh.
xboxlivemonkey

Post by xboxlivemonkey »

what about a dohc motor
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

its the same trick for all cars.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

mazdamx3sohc wrote:its the same trick for all cars.
I did it and my bro too. he when from F2T to FE3 bastard. me form B6-ME to BP-DE.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

and how well did you guys feel this ac removal thing? and whats the fe3?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”