Just purchased a MX3, a few probs tho

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
1995MX3

Just purchased a MX3, a few probs tho

Post by 1995MX3 »

Hey everybody,

Previous owner of a Grand AM going to a MX3. Quite the size change but I like it a lot. Crappy thing is I haven't really had the chance to drive it as the transmission kept crapping out on me. Anyways its a 4 Cyl one, a lil slow. I got a few questions, hopefully someone will know the answer possibly. I'll try to space my question out below so you can just number your answers if you have more then one :P :D:D

Are there any simple mods to this car that can make this car have more accel? I don't go fast when I drive, but i do accel fairly quick up to the speed limit. I put my 3 piece cold air intake off the Grand AM on for a lil bit. But took it out for a drive and it was noisy as hell, and didnt really do much. (Had K&N filter on it as well, just used the refresher kit on it a week prior). Although I did like the air sucking sound, the loudness of it in this car compared to the Grand AM is just insane.

After my car warms up and I'm in drive and at a stop, it idles very rough. I found out that if I really lightly tap on the gas a little, its perfect. When warmed up that is. When its cold its fine at a stop. I was doing some searching on these forms and found Clean your TB and it said something about putting jumpers and losening the IAA screw to adjust idle speed. Where exactily are the jumpers and the IAA screw?

Sometimes when I hit the breaks, my lights dim slightly. Its really odd. Only the headlights do it so far. What could this be?

And the last one. Since my car is in the transmission shop, I cant measure the battery. I have the option to get one from someone who has a Saturn Vue that he is trading in to a dealer and got a new car. So I asked if I could battery swap if it fits. So just curious what the dimensions of the MX3 battery are.

Anyways, thats about it for problems (crosses fingers while typing). Other then that its a pretty sweet car, just needs a lil more pep in the accel.

Seems like this is a good community like the Grand AM forums I was previously in. Hopefully you like me :)

I'm getting better working with cars, but I am definitely not a mechanic by any means.

Thanks in advance
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

This picture shows the IAA screw circled in red.

The "Jumper" is a wire or paper clip that you place to "Jump" the pins TEN and GND on the Diagnostic Box located near the firewall and the master cylinder. Cant miss it. Says "Diagnostic" on top of it. Under the lid you will find a pin out diagram that shows where TEN and GND are located. You must place a "Jumper" wire / conductor of some sort between those two pins before you adjust your idle speed via the Idle Air Adjustment screw (IAA). Once you have your idle speed set, shut down and remove the jumper wire. Also.. place the jumper wire in place BEFORE you start the car.

You will notice that your RPMS will be slightly lower with the "Jumper" removed than while its in place. When you "Jump" those two pins.. you are putting the ECU in diagnostic mode. Its running the engine on base programming at that point. Making changes to timing or idle speed will be recorded and adjust the base programming when you remove the jumper. (As long as your battery is connected)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
1995MX3

Post by 1995MX3 »

Sweet that seems really easy. I'm assuming that the screw is easily accessible by the looks of the picture.

Will definitely be the first thing that I do when I get it back.

Thanks very much Tunes :)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

No prob. One thing I will add.. if you have a ATX car... they are slugs. Poorly designed ATX too. Make sure you change the fluid ASAP if you just bought the car.. change the filter too. Cheap and easy.. I did a write up on how to do it that you can find in the FAQ section. If you have a 5spd car and it seems slow.. then your probably just spoiled by more powerful cars ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

1995MX3

Post by 1995MX3 »

Dunno what an ATX car is. heh

Yep changed the oil with full synthetic when i got it before it went into the tranny shop. Nope its an auto. And yeah it probably just seems slow compared to the grand am, heh. Guess ide have to get used to it.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

ATX = Automatic Transaxle (or Transmission) MTX = Manual Transaxle

So if you have a Auto Trans car.. yeah.. welcome to the club.. I got one as well.. they suck a-- to be blunt when it comes to acceleration and dont even get that good of gas mileage (its ok.. just nothing special) The 5spd cars are much more fuel efficient. Even the V6 5spd car gets better mileage than the 4 cyl ATX (not according to factory specs.. but according to my experience)

I have 3 MX-3 cars. A 94 RS 4cyl ATX. A 92 V6 ATX (Parts car) and a 92 V6 5Spd (was a ATX I made it a MTX)

You can check out the work logs of most members in the Worklogs forum. One of the nice things about this site is that someone somewhere has probably already done what you havent even thought about doing yet to your MX-3 ;)

Welcome aboard ;)

Tunes67

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”