AH! KL-ZE Electrical Problem?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
greenstorm

AH! KL-ZE Electrical Problem?

Post by greenstorm »

So I dumped a Kl-ze in my car, it ran for awhile (unfortunately using MX3 IM and MX3 ECU) but now I have a problem. It started awhile when it still would start, i noticed my battery light coming on after 4k rpm. Later it would do it more often, even at lower rpms and sometimes idle. Then it wouldnt start randomly. Once in awhile, when i turned the starter, nothing would happen but later it would start.

So that leads to now. It wont ever start. Doesn't do anything, starter doesnt spin, absolutely nothing. Computers and electronics are my weakpoint so I'm going to need a lot of help here. I kick started it (push car jump in, pop clutch) and it still runs well, but the battery light still comes on at about 4k rpms. Turn car off, doesn't start.

Could this just be my starter solenoid or more? And how do I check to make sure these things are working properly? ahhhhhh! any information or questions would be great, I'm sure I'm missing some details!
what kind of car IS that?
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Honestly sounds like a bad alternator, but could also be a bad battery, or both. Take it to a shop and have them do an AVR Test on it. (AVR stands for Amperage, Voltage, Resistance). They might know it as a Charging System Test. Do you have a spare alternator on your old engine or did you swap your old one onto your new engine?
Cody
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

well, the battery stays charged, I've tried multiple batteries in it so I'm guessing the alternator is fine. The starter not engaging is not due to lack of power as far as I know.

EDIT: it was over a year ago so I don't remeber which alternator is on there. I'm sure I have the other one somewhere.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

If the battery light comes on then you aren't getting enough voltage. Get a new alt, but it is common for a bad alt to ruin the starter and battery too. The starter needs the power and dies b/c ofa lack of it when starting and the battery dies b/c it is trying to make up the difference for the alt, but cannot really.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
93_MX3 GS

Post by 93_MX3 GS »

also check to make sure your alt/ac belt is tight n in decent condition,it could be slipping at higher rpms.
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

ok, I see what you guys are saying, ill check the alternator tomorrow morning, but if it recharges the battery, is it still bad? could any of these problems come from a bad ground or something too?

Let me word this another way, I know there is enough juice (edit: I mean juice in the battery)to make the starter engage, it just doesn't want to do it or the power is getting cut off somewhere. Are there any problems with sensors or ECU that would prevent starter engagement?
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Maybe the ignition cylinder, but that is unlikely. Check the alt and belt first.
good call on the belt MX3 GS.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
93_MX3 GS

Post by 93_MX3 GS »

:D , you could also try to get a friend or someone to tap the starter with a hammer while you have the key turned to start, and see if it kicks in ,if not check all yur connections.
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

It is not the starter, you tap the silinoid on the starter. lightly
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

starter thing didnt work, what else could it be? does the ECU ever block starting for any reason?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”