symptoms of failing water pump.

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
94mx3precidia

symptoms of failing water pump.

Post by 94mx3precidia »

hey, im looking for symptoms of a failing water pump? Just in case down the road my waterpump ends up failing i'd want to know. I know that the temp guage will obviously go up, but what are symptoms?
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

They ususally leak before they fail. It is a gear driven mechanical part running off the power of the belt so mechanical failure is not likely. You could have corrosion of the blades, but that is unlikely if you use mineral water and coolant like you should. Tap water will rust the pump and the aluminum inside the motor. Symptoms would be overheating.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Slow heater warm up. If the impellor of the water pump gets chewed up or corrodes off.. it can take longer for the heated coolant to reach the heater core. Most noticable on cold days of course. However.. its been shown that even a pump with the impellor worn down badly will still move the coolant in the 4cyl engines. Dunno if it would in the V6 or not, but I doubt it would since there is more coolant in the system. If it did.. it would take even longer for the heater to start blowing warm air.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

thanks for the tips guys. btw, what is the normal temperature for a v6 msx saposed to run at? Mine is a little over half and im not sure if thats too hot or not.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Depends on the thermostat. I think stock is a 180* thermo. Meaning that it should run at about 180 degrees, but will fluctuate above and below that by 10-15 degrees or so when running properly.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

what do you mean 180*? 180 degrees is either north or south, ie up or down.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

He means 180 degrees Farenheit. :shock:

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

gotvha, my bad. lol

thaught u meant the direction of the needle.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”