Seafomming.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
94mx3precidia

Seafomming.

Post by 94mx3precidia »

Hey, ive heard alot about seafomming. Are you guys belivers?
what exactly does it do?
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Ive never payed attention to seafoaming.. i gues its to clean engines but bleh.. ive never ever done it or will. what for.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I guy I know did it to his Camry and made a how to.

Might be worth checking out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhPsL-6VjLc
Cody
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ya im just a little unsure. The whole concept of carbon fillin in groves in the rings/cylinder is an understandable concept. My car has 199,000klm, not miles and i just got it used so i dont know what the driving habbits were and what condition the rings are in.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

there are several ways to clean carbon build up in the cyl, one way would be to put a few drops of water and hot flash clean it (old v8 guys method) another way is just put some octain booster/injector cleaner and go for a few romps. Seafoam is another option but where i hear people saying how great it works i here the same amount of people saying its terrible for an engine and that it caused them problems...
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

It depends really.. on more than a few factors.. engine mileage.. how well the engine was maintained and what area of the engine you want to clean with the seafoam. If your using it in the fuel or air intake systems.. its pretty good stuff. I personally wouldnt add it to engine oil.. but I know more than a few people that swear by it.

The reason I wouldnt add it to your oil is this.. over time.. that carbon lip build up at the top of the cylinders actually helps prevent oil blow by. Now.. if you run that seafoam through.. it will clean that lip of carbon off and all of a sudden.. your burning oil. If you do decide to run it in your oil.. do it for a brief period of time.. more like a rinse than a deep clean. People do this with a variety of products.. I have heard of people adding everything from ATX fluid to Kerosene for a similar effect at cleaning out the oiling system. Really.. if your engine is so crappy that this is considered... its probably gonna do more harm than good. But again it depends on the mileage and maintenance.

Now running seafoam through a couple of tanks of gas is a excellent way to clean your injectors and your fuel delivery system in general. You should still replace your fuel filter(s) though.

Running seafoam in through your throttle body or intake is a great way to clean carbon build up out of the intake and it will even help clean your intake valves a bit too without tearing down the engine.. its a bit tricky to introduce to the engine while running.. you will need to add it slowly so you dont kill the engine.. and be prepared for a white cloud the likes of which has only been seen in the movies before ;)

Anyhoo.. my 2 cents

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I've Seafoamed my car a couple of times. Once in the oil, maybe 50 miles before an oil change. Twice through brake booster hose and twice into fuel tank, both at 2,000 mile increments. Didn't smoke too bad, maybe for a couple of minutes, and then cleared up.

I didn't notice any miracles, but I didn't notice any harm either. Seems it did run smoother and better right after adding the stuff, and then later it either went back to normal or I got used to it. I've had around 130k on the motor when I first did it.

You could definitely try it, wouldn't hurt. If you get any result, it'll be more positive than negative.
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ive got a 50:50 chance of somethinggoing wrong. Ive got just 200,000klm and id rater just not do it yet. once i get a full time job during the summer and when i have the money to fix something if infact the seafoam does actually remove carbon sealing my rings. Like i said before i dont know how the car was treated maintenence wise.
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

i think i might get some and run it trough my brothers civic. Its got about 380,000 klm's on it.

its been sitting in the driveway for about a year now and its never gunna budge again seeing how the breaks are sompletely rust locked and the clutch is gone. it will be interesting to see how much smoke will come out of that beast. ill take a picture of it and post it on here when i do it
xxxguineapigxxx

Post by xxxguineapigxxx »

i use it sometimes....the best way to do it is to pull your pcv line off and have someone keep it running...then dump it in, the engine will start to sputter then keep dumping it in the shut the engine off and let it sit for as long as you can...when you fire it back up it will sputter and smoke like crazy but it works...youll notice a difference
92' MX3 GS 1.8L V6 :)
stock now...not for long
sinjin

Post by sinjin »

i'm a believer. my pops taught me to use seafoam about 20 years ago, he said it was an old mechanics trick back then...at the time NAPA was the only automotive store that carried it, now it's everywhere.

it's good in the gas tank, but mainly i use it in the PCV line or carburetor (depending on the car in question). i've tried it a few times in the oil, but didn't really notice much difference (pops always used marvel's mystery oil in the crankcase).
Cy

Post by Cy »

Depends ENTIRELY on the condition of the motor before as to your results post....

My old 1.6 had 235K km....probably NEVER apart...i pulled of the TB before i foamed it and there was literally a CAKE of carbon...The motor didn't run bad....but stood tobe better...

So I ran 3 cans of foam through it:
1st can i let the motor suck up without shutting it off...
2nd can i let the motor suck up and i poured it until it choked on it and died..
let that sit for about 10minutes then started the motor back up...(It took a good 10cranks to start...All the carbon and seafoam ran into the cylinders and flooded it..)

3rd can i split 1/2 in the gastank and half in the oil...drove for 100km and changed the oil...

I DEFINETLY noticed and IMMEDIATE difference in the responsiveness of the engine..I have no idea what exactly it did but it worked...

**only issue was like it was said before...If your burning oil now prepare to burn more if it's your rings, My ValveSeals were fried so i actually burned less to almost none after...
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I used it on my 4cl.. It deffinatley cleaned the motor !

One thing though.. its going to smoke during "seafoaming" ALOT. So those in neighborhoods, I'd suggest doing it when noones outside.
Slickjr09

Post by Slickjr09 »

do you poor it down the pvc line or let it be sucked up like in the video of the guy and his car
1992 Automatic Mazda MX-3 GS
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

let i sucked up by the brake booster vacum line. careful to not let it suck too much in or your car might hydrolock.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”