homemade air intakes

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cbrzx

Post by cbrzx »

do you lose bottom end power with this CAI mod??
madLyrical

Post by madLyrical »

i used the integra one, i didnt even think it was gonna be that easy, good looks on that electric energy.. considering i had a leak in the other intake, the ride is much better now, way better throttle response, sounds mad good too.. i havent had a chance to open it up yet though
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ok so im starting too do this intake mod now and im on the stage of ordering the intake off ebay. now ive been looking at this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura-In ... otohosting

my question is, how would i put the air flow sensor into it? it looks as though im only going to need one half of this intake cuz it looks too long, ill use the end that has the nipple on it for the vacum hose. I looked under my hood just now and it seems that i have 2 rubber hoses connecting to the intake track. what are these for?

EDIT: nvm ive changed my mind and im going with this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BOMZ-199 ... 0129683825

it looks as though i would only too need to use only one pipe.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
lerutis

Post by lerutis »

Will be easy with the one you picked.

Just have a electric heat blower around so you can bend over the silicon couplers over the VAF.

And yea, you will just use one pipe, the one with a nipple on it!

gl

edit: there are cheapers kits than that, that is exactly the same.
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

what do you mean have a heat blower? wouldnt clamps hold the couplers tight to the VAF? what is the VAF? the volume or valve air flow?

Which kits are cheaper?

OK before i tackle this soon, i need to clarify some things. the picture below is of my stock air box. and the things circled in red are my questions. 2 of them are vacum hoses i belive, but the one thats at the bottom left of the airbox im not sure what it is. i think thats its just held on and i can just remove it and put it somewhere else.

[IMG]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u179 ... 230014.jpg[/IMG]

this picture is a close up of the part im not sure about. i think it just clips on.

[IMG]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u179 ... 230015.jpg[/IMG]

and back to the 2 vacum hoses, which is the one that i will be connecting to the nipple of the new cold air intake? and what would i be doing with the other one? obviously i cant just let it hang, ill get dirt in it. Thanks for the help, appreciate it.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I'm pretty sure that, apart from the hose that's hooked directly to the airbox, those hoses are connected to the sensor and aren't related to the intake. It's just that the sensor is mounted on the airbox, for whatever reason. When you do CAI, you keep the sensor and mount it somewhere else, and connect the hoses to it. Now, for the hose that goes into the airbox itself, I've actually tried blocking it and didn't notice any difference. If you have a small nipple on the intake, you can connect it, if not, you can probably just plug it up. All you really need to hook up is the big hose by the throttle body. At least that's what I've gathered so far. I haven't done CAI myself, either.

And the heat blower is to help silicone soften and expand. That is for the cases where the coupler or reducer is too small to fit over the pipe or VAF. Like if you're trying to put a 2.5" to 3" reducer onto the VAF. VAF opening is 3.5" wide, so you'd need to do some stretching.

VAF is the Volume Airflow meter.
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ok gotcha, just to recap, i can move the part at the bottom of the airbox somewhere else, ill get an intake that has a nipple for the vacum hose and ill just keep the acordian type hose on there so i dont have to do anything with the big vacum hose.
lerutis

Post by lerutis »

Hey!

I bought my kit for around 16$ but i can't find it anymore .. :(

And yeah, good answer above ;) just what i was about to write hehe.

gl
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

94mx3precidia wrote:ok gotcha, just to recap, i can move the part at the bottom of the airbox somewhere else, ill get an intake that has a nipple for the vacum hose and ill just keep the acordian type hose on there so i dont have to do anything with the big vacum hose.
Sounds about right. Though I wouldn't keep the accordion hose with the aftermarket intake - it's restrictive and probably has tiny cracks in it, if it's not brand new. If you get the Integra intake, the section that connects to the TB has a nipple for the large vacuum hose connector, so you should be able to connect everything that's needed.
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ok, so which year integra has the CAI nipple for the big vacum hose?
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I'm assuming this is the correct one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93-AC ... otohosting
lerutis

Post by lerutis »

http://w2.hidemyass.com/index.php?q=aHR ... d0l0ZW0%3D

This is the exact one i bought.

The big Vacuuom pipe go into the nipple and just let the other small pipe hang around etc ..

Cheap and working really good.
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

[quote="lerutis"][url]http://w2.hidemyass.com/index.php?q=aHR ... d0l0ZW0%3D[/url]

This is the exact one i bought.

The big Vacuuom pipe go into the nipple and just let the other small pipe hang around etc ..

Cheap and working really good.[/quote]

this just brings me to hide my a-- . com
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

[quote="Whisper"]I'm assuming this is the correct one...

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93-AC ... otohosting[/url][/quote]

wow, wasnt expecting it to be that cheap lol. it looks good, if it doesnt fit i could always just cut it into the size i need. If the whole kit is that cheap, the only thing im worried is that the cone filter is going to be just as cheap. for sure im going to get another filter, dont trust these ebay guys.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well since mine is now 95% done.. here is a pic of it. Mine is cobbled together from a MX-6 short ram intake and other bits & piping I had laying around.

There are a few more pics in my GS worklog too.

Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”