Pulling K8 Heads, bad idea?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
johnstad

Pulling K8 Heads, bad idea?

Post by johnstad »

I just purchased my first GS (a '92 with 104k km's) and whenever I buy used cars I like to take the top ends off, port/polish the heads, replace valve stem seals, grind valve seats, resurface the head, all the typical head work that you should do. Compression is great, cylinder leak down was good, not burning oil or coolant, never been overheated (supposedly) ie head gaskets are fine, I am not trying to fix a problem just upkeep. The deal is that I know some heads shouldn't be taken off as a 'if it's not broken don't fix it or you might break it', are the K8's an example of this? I have to change the timing belt, so I am doing the majority of the work anyway. Any opinions are appreciated.
Stock GS for now.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

if you can do your port/polish yourself why not, go ahead
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
johnstad

Post by johnstad »

can and have done it lots, so what I figured. I know some older DOHC's can be a huge headache to put back together, but ours looks pretty straightforward

Thanx
Stock GS for now.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

If you're pulling the engine apart, just get a used KLDE engine and play with that. The K8 head gaskets cost like $350 a pair vs. $100 a pair for KL head gaskets.
johnstad

Post by johnstad »

I am definately planning on buying a KL (hopefully a -ZE from either Tiger or Corksport, but maybe a -DE and just do the bottom end) within the next year, but the guy I bought the car from does not know if the timing belt was ever changed. Even with the non-interference heads I would really prefer to not lose the TB while driving. So replacing it is kind of important. I just wasn't sure if while I had it apart it was worth taking the heads off. If the H gaskets are so expensive maybe I will just wait until I buy the KL and spend the money there.

Thanx again, I just have to say that this site is GREAT for info and help!!!!!
Stock GS for now.
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

Hey man, i live in halifax too! im currently in the process of doing a klze swap in my car! hit me up on msn or something

hobag_9@passport.com
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”