Installed gauges under my hood today.. What do you think

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions

Should I cut up the interior to install the gauges inside the vehicle?

Poll ended at May 31st, 2007, 10:46 pm

YES, do it now and regret it later!
60%
NO, too nice an interior and tells me what I need to know from where it is.
40%

Total votes: 5

racer3v
Supporting Member

Installed gauges under my hood today.. What do you think

Post by racer3v »

I put in an oil pressure gauge and a volt meter under the hood. My interior was in too nice of shape to cut up for gauges. Please leave me feedback on the install idea. The last pic is of the car running. It holds 60-65psi oil pressure. You can see pix at my sig website. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks, Vinny
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Not my cup of tea b/c why do you need guages you cannot see while the car is operating which is why you have them IMO.
Also, what RPM are you at that you have that much oil pressure?
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
racer3v
Supporting Member

answers

Post by racer3v »

I was going to put them in the interior but my interior is almost mint. I wanted it so I could periodically check it. My car was idling around 1,500rpm with 65psi of pressure. I had just changed the oil with some high quality 10w40 oil. I was only hoping, not even expecting, 20-30psi at high idle. I wanted to install them so I could know in my heart that I was selling a great car and not just another car.
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

get a guage pod which attatches onto the pillar or just make an addition somehwere like ur ash tray to avoid cutting anything up
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

How big are those? If you have room, I'd put them in your second stereo slot.
Cody
racer3v
Supporting Member

Considered options

Post by racer3v »

I had considered your suggestions and had decided to install them in the small flat area under the e-brake handle but the kit didn't include enough tubing to get much past the dash. My dash is perfect and I didn't want to cut it up for them. The gauges are 1 1/2" but didn't fit into the second radio slot without cutting that all up too. I looked for an a-pillar gauge pod but couldn't find anything. I am actually considering a number of options for the car if it doesn't sell in the next few weeks. Check out my other posts to see what may be in store. Thanks for your input though. Vinny
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Just FYI, I only get about 70 PSI MAX at 7500 RPM. You should be around 20 at idle, even if 1500 is the idle maybe 30.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Unusual choice for gauge mounting. Would've recommended using std 2 1/16" (52mm?) dia. gauges and either a snap-in single DIN plastic mounting plate for the dash or Lotek's MX-3 A-pillar gauge holder. My .02
Image -Jim
racer3v
Supporting Member

Website?

Post by racer3v »

Do you have a website for Lotek? Thanks, Vinny
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

You can see my worklog if you want to see what the pod looks like with gauges and mounted in my GS.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

they would be kind of functionless as you won't be able to see them, unless you're going to pop your hood open in middle of the highway.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Cy

Post by Cy »

in-car guages let you know when things are out of norm...

I have a quick-disconnect nipple on a t on the oil pressure sender and fuel rail which let me grab my pressures when I need to know them..

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”