Dying on idle - sporadic

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
tasfalen

Dying on idle - sporadic

Post by tasfalen »

First MX-3, enjoying, but:

Car dies on idle every now and again, usually after I've been driving for awhile and I go to park it. If I start it up again and give it a little throttle it seems fine.

It's a V6, and has had two other owners. It seems to have had proper maintenance (according to dealer records) but my CEL is always on with no codes.

When I start it up, it idles really high too, and then settles down. Otherwise everything seems peachy!

Any tips on where I should look? TIA!
'96 MX-3 V6 Blaze Red on the heart transplant list
Rate cars! Upload your ride! http://www.rodorrat.com/
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Very common problem on this car. Most likely cause of problem will be cracks in the ribs of the intake tube between intake air box and the throttlebody. If air's gettin in past the VAF sensor then it'll make your engine behave as you described.

Make sure to use the search button when you can, the more experienced mx-3ers get grumpy when we don't. :wink:
Cody
mx3biotch

Post by mx3biotch »

Ya dude, my first mx3 did that exact same thing and as tehbrookzorz just said it was exactly that, my intake tube was all cracked and stuff, easy fix... fix it with cold air intake ;) it's easy to even make yourself.
94 GS, J-spec KLZE, KL31 ECU, KL31 Cams, Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel/Clutch, Custom CAI with K&N, NGK Plugs/Wires, Phenolic Thermoblock Spacers, Custom Magnaflow 2" Exhaust, Custom Titanium Paint, Carbon Fiber Altezzas, 16" Miata Wheels, Crossed Drilled Rotors w/Silver Calipers, Tint, Ground Control/Tockiko Suspension, Ground Control Rear Strut Bar, 6 Point Roll Cage, Corbeau CR2 Seats, Sparco 3 Point Harness, MOMO steering wheel/drifting e-brake/shifter, mx3 door sills/pedals, Carbon Fiber dash inserts, Silver vinyl door insterts, JBL power series 6.5" front components/4x6 rear components, 4 channel amp, infinity 10" self powered sub, JVC 2.5" DVD/Mp3 Player.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Good to see the younger members chiming in.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
tasfalen

Thanks!

Post by tasfalen »

Awesome! Thank you, thank you all. I've ordered up one of those Integra GSR cold air intakes mentioned elsewhere in the forums and that should do the trick. I was meaning to clean it up anyhow.

I'll try not to ignore the mx-3.com gods in the future :) seriously, I do a search on something and it turns up a wealth of information!

Cheers all.
'96 MX-3 V6 Blaze Red on the heart transplant list
Rate cars! Upload your ride! http://www.rodorrat.com/

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”