Valves

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX3ak

Valves

Post by MX3ak »

Need to know, what kind of metal are made the valves of K series, thanks!
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Some sort of steel alloy I would think. That is the common stock type anyway. I know they are nothing special. Why do you need to know out of curiosity.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

Well, thanks for reply. I need to know because if they were made with some kind of soft metal they would be consumed by Lpg, wich is the "gas" in feed my motor.

Lpg is very dry and not lubrificant like gasoline is. And Lpg heats the combustion chamber lot more than gasline. Then soft metal valves are rapidly consumed.
In some motors, like Honda, are soft valves and then Lpg users have to add a special lube called FlashLube so the valves can last longer.

Besides, they (soft valves) also need to adjust regulary the valves clearance, because of rapid consume Lpg mades on them. But there, we don't have that problem because K-series have HLA'a that are auto adjustable.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

so youre saying the the of alloy they are made of dosent concern you, its the hardness, and that could be anything depending on how they were heat treated when they were made in the factory

only way to find that out is to take a valve to a metallugry lab and have them do a hardness test
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

So the whole aluminum block and head isn't a concern?
Cody
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

Good cooling system takes care of block.

Just the exaust valves I'm concerned for the reasons I posted before.

By the way, I think this could be a concern for peoples running high octane gas and constant high rpm.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Theres a guy that runs on LPG gas already. Nothing bad will happen.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”