Failed Lambo door group buy...

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
RCP190

Post by RCP190 »

Excellent Post Eric.

I'm curious to which hinge you are referring to? Is it the 90' Direct Bolt on, Tier 1 Application Specific(Deca design), Tier 2 Application Specific(LSD design), or the Tier 3 Application Specific(LSD design with 90' vertical motion)?

Thanks

Firas
bgracing

Post by bgracing »

Hey,

Firstly OROutdoors, we appreciate the input that you are supplying us with, but there are reasons why the kit is designed and functions the way that it does, I will outline below why things were designed that way, and include responses to your input.

You state that the shock has about 1cm of travel left in it, have you considered the shock buffer zone? The shock cannot be closed completely as this will cause the shock to wear out prematurely. And by moving the shock mounting location further up (closer yet to the pivot point) causes the shocks effect on the lifting motion to become even weaker, meaning the doors most certainly will not stay up.

As with all lambo door conversions the fender must be trimmed, in order to gain enough clearance horizontally, this has to be trimmed. When trimming the fender there is a certain amount of material that needs to be left inorder to have the fender retain its shape (roughly 2mm). There is no need for a fender brace I can assure you this, it has been done many times before on many other cars having the center mounting location removed. While one may consider welding a piece in that has been molded to the fender, how many people wanted to do welding? If hammering down the frame is an issue, I can hardly see how welding a support inside is going to make the install any easier. Also it was stated that relief cuts could be made into the fender area allowing it to be bent back underneath the fender thus adding more rigidity to the fender.

1.) There are numerous major issues with putting the hinge on an angle so that the outer face is a few degrees higher then the inner face. Firstly the hinge itself needs to remain flat in order for the lower pivotal point to work correctly, this is also why the hinge assembly itself is on an angle. Secondly this would cause the arm also to sit on an outward angle yet again limiting the horizontal motion, meaning that the door would not get the necessary horizontal travel to go the full 90 degrees. Also this would mean the car door would try to go vertical over the hood section of the car, and it would then strike the fender or hood portion as it is now on an angle such that the door is trying to go vertical over the hood and infront of the windsheild. There are reasons why things are designed the way they are. The problem the MX-3's create is that they have quite wide doors, but a very slim fender, meaning that the horizontal motion is quite crucial. This also means that the arm now travels upwards on an angle causing the bottom of the arm to stick out in such a way that it will now hit the fender.

2.) The problem with the guide is that this would impede the adjustability of the hinge, it would now only go vertical when opened a certian distance horizontally, furthermore another cure to the problem of it being near the fender when vertical, is to trim down the arm width, this meaning that the arm would not sit as tall and would remain farther away from the fender without the use of a "Guide".

3) You state that if the area where the set screw meets the backing plate were shaped in such a way that it would allow the arm to raise at variable heights, please keep in mind, that while the arm is raising, the set screw in the hinge itself is not, it only has horizontal motion and not vertical, meaning that should you put a profile behind it , it would have no effect as it does not share the vertical motion that the arm does. The arm pivots, not the whole hinge.

You go on to state that the Hinge assembly should also be moved further forward, what you have to take into consideration is that as you move the hinge forward this thereby shrinks the length of the arm, this measurement, and this measurement alone is directly proportional to how high the door sits above the fender. You shorten the arm, and the door will plow right into the fender, and thus make 90 degrees completely impossible. Secondly you all wanted a hinge that bolted on to the stock locations and we provided, as you wanted as little to be modified as possible, but now you are saying that other mounting locations need to be used? Holes need to be drilled into the frame and holes threaded? I'm sorry but that just simply is not a good idea in the slightest, here we are with Jarid complaining about having to hammer down the frame, and now all of a sudden more holes need to be drilled out? It really seems like we are jumping around on this issue. When we began this process it was stated that little modification wanted to be done, and yes we could have added a hole to the frame in which the structure is bolted down to, however there has been enough hassle about hammering down the frame, that I beleive drilling a hole into the frame would have created a major issue. The stock mounting locations are the best place to hold the door up, they were afterall made to hold the original hinges, yes not to do what the lambo door system does, but that spot was created to hold the doors, and we beleive that is the best spot to do so. I again cannot stress enough how moving the hinge assembly forward creates a huge huge problem in the way that it will not get the vertical lift necessary to allow the door to rise above the fender, and when going 90 degrees this is absolutely necessary, not so much with other companies kits that only go 45-50 degrees, but when creating a system that sits above the fender, measurements have a direct impact on numerous outcomes.

As for the wiring, please understand that when cutting and extending the wires, you do this one wire at a time. Hence multicoloured wire is not needed as there should be no confusion as to which wire gets connected to which wire. I understand needing multicoloured wiring if you just plan on cutting all the wire at once, but this is absolutely the wrong way to go about extending the wires. Secondly all wire will be extended to the exact same length, and to create less mass all wiring connections should be staggered to create a thinner mass of wires.

Again thank you Eric as all input is appreciated, and I'm in no way trying to come off as arrogant, just stating why things were done the way they were.

Also Firas,

You have failed to provide us on the numerous occassions that we have spoken with any form of promotional material or marketing that your company has begun to do. Furthermore you have not completed the dealership application which was stated to you months ago that it would be needed, yes we have obligations to fulfill to your company, but in order to even begin selling our products we need to have that dealership application, as it states right on the website that you refer to.

We also stated that as soon as the product was ready to ship, you would be notified, you have come to us for no other reasons then to find out the deadline of the products. I told you I would let you know when I had more information, however seeing as I do not, there was no need to notify you as there were no changes to the situation since the last time we spoke.

I'm sorry that you feel that your company being on our website could have a negative impact, if you will note as of tonight it will no longer be on the website, until the dealership application has been received and reviewed. I would also like to point out, that besides MSN, you have not contacted me in any other way. My computer sometimes shuts down on me while I am at work which I cannot control, however, you have my email which is connected to my MSN, yet you have never sent an email there. This is something that I will always have access to and it does not matter if my computer shuts down. So despite the fact that you state you have emailed me, this is not true, as your only form of communication has been via MSN. Also please note that we have yet to collect a payment from you, as we were unsure of when the order would be finished, this is after all a brand new product.

Thanks,
Kyle Wesley
Xtreme-Doors
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Kyle,
Please send me a call tag for my kit so I can send it back to you. I already have it off my car.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Kyle,
Im suprised your phones are still down. I tried to call you today and get these hinges back to you. When i called the 1768 number a few weeks ago your roomate said that you forward the number from the shop to your apartment. This lends me to think that you have disconnected both the fax and the other number. Id rather not call the cell number as you stated your fiance usually has the phone...as this does me no good. If you could please call me I would appreciate it.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

end to another day and still no reply Kyle...I think you want to finish up this group buy as much as I do. I PM'd you this AM.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
bgracing

Post by bgracing »

Hey Jarid,

Firstly I try to get on the computer as often as possible but have been extremely busy that past few days. I'll PM you my new cell number which is on me at all times. Also beleive me we would like to finish this group buy as much as you.

I would also like to know what is holding up the people that ordered the non 90 degree kits back from paying?

Thanks,
Kyle Wesley
Xtreme-Doors
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

bgracing wrote:Hey Jarid,

Firstly I try to get on the computer as often as possible but have been extremely busy that past few days. I'll PM you my new cell number which is on me at all times. Also beleive me we would like to finish this group buy as much as you.

I would also like to know what is holding up the people that ordered the non 90 degree kits back from paying?

Thanks,
Kyle Wesley
Xtreme-Doors
Very true. The non 90 guys can pay and get their kits now. That system does work, it just needs some modifications for the 90 kit. I think there was two non 90 kits orderded.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
magiccowinuse

Post by magiccowinuse »

WHAT ABOUT MY KIT THAT IS ON ITS WAY. I asked you a while ago if my kit was the "updated" version but you haven't answered me. what is the deal with my kit that is on its way.
1994 1.6L White MX-3 - Daily Driver
1995 Red MX-3 -Project
MX3Extreme

Post by MX3Extreme »

Kyle

So what about replying to my emails and what about my kit that i drove all the way out there to get ? Is this kit not going to work? I have the kit on my car now and still hits the fenders and 90 degrees? did you sell me this kit before you even tried to put this on the car with fenders? I now have sent you 2 other emails and i know you busy so i dont need to here it , trust me so is everyone else but no response from you coming here and helping make this kit fit properly?

I have asked you to contact me or kieth from desired and he has not heard from you aswell. My problems are as simple as this,

1- I have installed this kit you sold me and trust me I am very good with custom car stuff and it is my career building cars so i am not a new guy with tools just trying to install this kit. The doors so far will NOT go all the way in so this is a problem for the seals on the doors keeping water and air while driving out and 2- it will not meet the fender as required to keep the body lines straight if it is sticking out ever a little!

2- Fenders will not ever go on properly without hitting something weather its the arm when it opens wide enough to get past the top bolt that holds the fender in or when it starts to go up to full 90 degrees it starts to hit the fender lifting it, also when it comes down it also hits now the top of the fender if i put the fender on after the door is all the way up.

I will mess with this kit one more time with a friend of mine who owns another custom car shop in the city and if we cant get it to work then I would like for you to help with a solution for me please as this is not your average show car that never wins anything infact it is quite the opposite and cant have scratched fenders or dents or anything of that nature.

I love the doors as they look sic on the car now but just needs some fine tuning to be perfect and thats where you come in.

Please get back to me as soon as you can so we can come up with a solution so that it will help me and everyone on this board to complete the group buy.

I have many pics of the doors on the car including a video of them working without the fenders on which does nobody any good at this point so let me know or call me as i have left my cell phone number with you in my emails a few times now.

thanks
MX3Extreme
Last edited by MX3Extreme on May 13th, 2007, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magiccowinuse

Post by magiccowinuse »

For anyone paying for there kits now, I recommend contacting kyle and requesting that it be shipped UPS or FedEX and pay the extra money. My kit is being shipped Canadian post and left kyle on MAY 2nd and is STILL SOMEWHERE in Canada not even close to Illinois yet according to the tracking number given.
1995 Red MX-3 -Project
elk-o

Post by elk-o »

@ Kyle would you please answer my PM? 'Cause I can't reach you via e-mail or phone :/
bgracing

Post by bgracing »

Hey,

Mark, I have sent you a PM explaining things. Also, while you did drive out here to get the kit, I did offer to ship it but you said you would be picking it up as you would be out anyways. Furthermore, this kit was installed on our test car before ANY kits were shipped so I do not appreciate that statement. Furthermore, I received one email to my personal account and a lot of emails I send your way bounce back at me. If you could provide me with another email that would be greatly appreciated. Also, when have I told you I was too busy to help, not once have I stated this so not sure where this statement comes from but again not appreciated.

1) I have PM'd you with the solution to the doors not sealing, and this will be taken care of.

2.) We have also created a solution to the problem of the arm hitting when approaching 90 degrees, what needs to be done (and will be done) is the front of the arms need to be trimmed down creating a lower profile when vertical thus meaning it will not be as close to the fender as it is now. Also I'm not sure as to what you mean by the fender will not go on properly as we have shown videos, pictures, and Jarid also had his fender on.

We will be very very happy to help you with the solution and will be getting a new arm assembly welded up and ready for you and this will rectify the problem you are having. Also as you have stated to me your kit will in fact go 90 degrees once the leading edge of the arm is trimmed down.

Magiccowinuse your kit should have no problems going 90 degrees and should you for some reason experience the same problem let us know asap as it will be the arm assembly that is causing the problem.

Elk-O I will be messaging you tomorrow morning regarding your questions and appologize for the delay.

Thanks,
Kyle Wesley
Xtreme-Doors
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

bgracing wrote:Hey,

Mark, I have sent you a PM explaining things. Also, while you did drive out here to get the kit, I did offer to ship it but you said you would be picking it up as you would be out anyways. Furthermore, this kit was installed on our test car before ANY kits were shipped so I do not appreciate that statement. Furthermore, I received one email to my personal account and a lot of emails I send your way bounce back at me. If you could provide me with another email that would be greatly appreciated. Also, when have I told you I was too busy to help, not once have I stated this so not sure where this statement comes from but again not appreciated.

1) I have PM'd you with the solution to the doors not sealing, and this will be taken care of.

2.) We have also created a solution to the problem of the arm hitting when approaching 90 degrees, what needs to be done (and will be done) is the front of the arms need to be trimmed down creating a lower profile when vertical thus meaning it will not be as close to the fender as it is now. Also I'm not sure as to what you mean by the fender will not go on properly as we have shown videos, pictures, and Jarid also had his fender on.

We will be very very happy to help you with the solution and will be getting a new arm assembly welded up and ready for you and this will rectify the problem you are having. Also as you have stated to me your kit will in fact go 90 degrees once the leading edge of the arm is trimmed down.

Magiccowinuse your kit should have no problems going 90 degrees and should you for some reason experience the same problem let us know asap as it will be the arm assembly that is causing the problem.

Elk-O I will be messaging you tomorrow morning regarding your questions and appologize for the delay.

Thanks,
Kyle Wesley
Xtreme-Doors
So the new kit i will be receiving will have a modified door arm and dual shocks correct? Also please email me how to fix the upper door seal issue as mine was doing the same thing. I think slotting the upper and lower bolt hole on the piece that bolts to the door would help greatly.
Last edited by cjthor on May 15th, 2007, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
magiccowinuse

Post by magiccowinuse »

bgracing wrote:Magiccowinuse your kit should have no problems going 90 degrees and should you for some reason experience the same problem let us know asap as it will be the arm assembly that is causing the problem.
will do, thanks.
1995 Red MX-3 -Project
ovendenk
Supporting Member

Post by ovendenk »

kyle,

can you please explain why you refuse to post a video of your hinge with the fender and door panel on opening to 90 degrees??? :? i would also like to see it open vertical from it's fully horizontal position. please and thank you.

like i said before, i will not pay the remainder of my payment and will ask for my deposit back too since this kit is not as originally advertised at his point, until at least i see this video. sorry.
kevin (aka The Oven)
93 mx-3 GS KL-ZE with KL31 cams and properly chipped ecu
All mods are on my website: http://ca.geocities.com/ovendenk
MX-3.com Worklog: http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=48462

Return to “Appearance”