Replacing old style heater control panel for new.

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Shammy Shamrock

Replacing old style heater control panel for new.

Post by Shammy Shamrock »

Hi people,

I hope this is the correct place to ask? :D

Basically i've owned a Red 1992 MX3 V6 for around 2 years now and as you can imagine it's starting to look a bit tatty and old. Now it's getting a blowover in a few weeks because it is more pink than red now and getting the wheels refurbed at the same time.

I was also thinking about trying to make the interior a bit more modern too and would like to change the heater control panel to the newer style.

I have the old slider control but i would really like the newer button version.

I can easily get the part cheap on ebay but before i do i'd like to ask how difficult the job is? Can it be done without too much fiddling with wires? Or is it just not worth the hassle?

I'd also like to replace the horrible plastic steering wheel for the newer spec ones. I know i won't be able to use the airbag but mine doesn't have one anyway and i think the newer ones look alot nicer :P Again, is this and easy swop job or is there more to it?

Thanks for any help. :?:
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

well if I remember correctly from my 94 dash that the new heater controls do look much nicer with buttons instead of slides... but if I'm not mistaken it is all wires instead of cables. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong... it's been a few years since I took mine apart.

Also why don't you just upgrade by putting the white indiglo hvac overlay on? It is pretty inexpensive and IMO it makes it look really nice especially if you get some white speedo gauges to go with it!

good luck with whatever you decide!
turbulence23

Post by turbulence23 »

old dash works with a sliding pin and a wheel to change for example the blower ( 0,1,2,3)

new is completely electronic, so it won't work..
2.5L KLZE engine, CF hood, Postert frontbumper, kmax skirts, custom diffusor..

MY RIDE:
http://www.mazdamx-3.nl/members/member_show.php?id=102
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

it will work bet there is alot of parts to swap and a little modding to do to make the stuff fit, best thing is to get a donor car for this, i will be done this in a month if i can get the dash finished.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Try searching the BB using key words "dash swap" as I recall past threads where this was discussed in detail. It's been done but you'd need more than just the heater control unit off ebay to transition from mech to elec controls. Dali's right, donor car is the way to go.
Image -Jim

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”