KLDE Swap Question(obd)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX3parkerGS

KLDE Swap Question(obd)

Post by MX3parkerGS »

Hi guys, most of you probably dont rec. my name. But I was frequently at this forum when i owned my 93 GS. I sold it about a year ago. (got into atv's). But like I knew would happen, I started to miss it. I just picked up a very very VERY nice cond. 94 GS(white). And this time, no more saying"im gonna swap, im gonna swap). I really am. The motor is coming from a 9? Mazda 626 from a local junk yard. Cant confirm the year, Im at work right now, cant check.

Now for the question. Ive been trying to refresh my memory, but just to confirm, if this 626 ends up being OBDII, that doesnt change the fact that I can use this 2.5 out of it, correct? Its just that I wouldnt be able to use this 626's ECU(that is w/o swapping whole wiring harness), correct? Or no?

Thanks in advance! Parker
'94 White MX-3 GS. Engine bay empty and waiting for the 2.5DE.

Completly stock, at this time.

Parker
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Correct.. however.. the later model 626 engines (and millenia engines for that matter) came with solid lifters and applicable camshafts as well. So they are the more desireable engine.

Your likely in for a small pain in the arse when it comes to hooking up your wiring harness to the engine.. you may have to swap out some of your K8 sensors or even go junkyard diving for OBD I sensors from other KLDE engines. But that will definitely be a TON easier than trying to convert your OBD I car to a OBD II wiring harness and ECU. If I recall correctly.. you might have issues with your crank position sensor.. I know there was one sensor that was completely different between the OBD I and II sensors.. and I think it was the CPS but I admit I am not 100% certain by any means.

Congrats on the 94 GS.. Make sure you visit the Appearance forum and register your car color in the POLL there :D

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
MX3parkerGS

Post by MX3parkerGS »

thanks for the quick reply! Didnt even know there was a "prefered" KLDE. So if this ends up being OBDII, i should most likley have all the sensors n what not that I cannont use off the 2.5, avaliable off of my 1.8. correct or no?

thanks again, Parker
'94 White MX-3 GS. Engine bay empty and waiting for the 2.5DE.

Completly stock, at this time.

Parker
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

As far as I know.. yes.. but be prepared for a bit of junk yarding if something doesnt screw in the same ;) (Just in case) Plenty of folks have done it so its not new ground or anything.. just gotta roll up your sleeves and get dirty. ;) If you run into a issue you dont know how to solve.. post up and I am sure there will be plenty of folks that have the solutions :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”