headlights won't turn off

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
RaspMetalicMX3SE

headlights won't turn off

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

So i got home from driving maybe 15-20 mins and i went to turn my headlights off after parking and they don't turn off!!! I went yo unplug them and notice the harnesses melted on both of the headlights. I have a set of H4 tuned by matrix show bulbs that are 100/90W in power and i wired in a bosche relay for each. have had um in for like 4-5 month's now and no prbolems til now. i do run with the hi- beams on normally if that makes a difference. I'm sure that the higher wattage bulbs is what melted the hanresses but why the hell will the headlights not shut -off!? I need to get this fixed since it's dark when i drive into work in the morning!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Seems pretty straight forward to me. You ran a bulb that is too high wattage for the wiring and plugs. You need to rewire the headlight circuit to handle the bulbs or go back to stock recommended wattage.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
RaspMetalicMX3SE

yea, i know thats why the melted but how did they not turn off when i turn the headlights off, in other word how are they being powered when the switch is off?
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

you melted the relay contacts together - the relay usually gets the power directly from the battery - the switch only turns the relay on or off. If the contacts are melted and fused - it wont release even when the relay is turned off by the switch. You have to (go to a professional and) upgrade the wiring and get a proper rated relay- otherwise it is quite dangerous - might lead to major engine fire one day - all it takes is one spark and some fuel vapor.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
RaspMetalicMX3SE

hmmm, well i plugged in a spare set bulbs that i have and they work fine and i didn't replace relays or the harnesses, for now i just have the three bare metal pieces from the harness hooked up to three bulbs prongs on each bulb. So i'm guessing the relays workig just fine. I think it was just a bad idea to run the hi-beams 100% of the time and the actual bulbs overheated from it. i noticed that the glass from one of them was actually starting to droop. pretty crazy guess i gotta be more careful

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”