KL-ZE and K8

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MazdaNoob123

KL-ZE and K8

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

well im thinkin of swapping my motor.
From my understanding KLZE's are notorious for dropping valve's at 7000RPM(Please Correct Me If im Wrong)
So my question is.
Is he valve train from the K8 inter changeable. Im guessing Vavle size is different. But in the way of springs and retainers. (From what ive heard the KLZE problem lies in the retainers.)
If someone knows of a much easier fix for this.( A place to get better parts, that isnt outragious) Please let me know

I plan on turning the motor to redline
Just the Way i drive:
http://ghost.digerati-hosting.com/Car%20Sounds/

I would do a KLDE if i could find one local for about $750
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

no point, you wont make power after 6800 rpms unless you get yourself a set of aftermarket cams, or some type of FI
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

I know that. But ive heard storys of people dropping valves on KLZE's at the 6000rpm range
thats what concerns me. Im not saying i want to go drive around every day at those high rpms. Im just trying to find out whats possible.
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I believe the issue is only a problem is you rev *past* redline. I've had my ZE for over 3 years now. She'll hit redline (never beyond) a few times a day usually, if not, at least once, just too fun not too.

Sure, you don't make much power after 6800, but it's not necessarilly making power at that point, but where in the powerband you come back into after you shift that you need to take into consideration as well.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Honestly man from my experience a retainer will break whenever it wants...is it more likely to break at higher RPMs??....YES, but u can fracture one just punching out and then it break while driving normal.

Yes you can use the K8 valvetrain on the KLZE....thats how i have mine and i see 7000+ RPMS regularly
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I've not had a problem, nor known anyone personally to have a problem with the ZE retainers. However, you can also use DE retainers which are better than the K8 or ZE.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

PATDIESEL wrote:I've not had a problem, nor known anyone personally to have a problem with the ZE retainers. However, you can also use DE retainers which are better than the K8 or ZE.
any idea where i can find DE retainers, without buying a motor :P
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

K8 and DE retainers are the same. So are the valve springs.
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

Slammed6 wrote:Honestly man from my experience a retainer will break whenever it wants...is it more likely to break at higher RPMs??....YES, but u can fracture one just punching out and then it break while driving normal.

Yes you can use the K8 valvetrain on the KLZE....thats how i have mine and i see 7000+ RPMS regularly
thanks
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

Slammed6 wrote:K8 and DE retainers are the same. So are the valve springs.
are the valves the same size ? (Not That It Matters)
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

All the vlaves are 30mm valves....just the KLZE intakes are 31mm.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmhm ive never head anyne with the curved neck kl 01 cammed ze drop a valve but suppsoebloy its the same valve train. ALso not every ze is going to drop a valve. Its just your driving style. Dont go over 7000. I rarely hit 7000. I am swapping to de retainers and springs for insurance when i get my kl31 cams :D
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

now a dumb question
i thought kl-01 cams came in KL-DE's
i thought all KLZE's had KL-31 cams
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

you are right however there is the jap eunos um some number klze. Its a real klze, curved neck, flat top pistons kl -31 heads but kl-01 cams. Has more torque at the lower rpms but the kl31 cammed ze (straight neck) has higher hp (around 10 more) and more torque at the top end.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

MazdaNoob123 wrote:now a dumb question
i thought kl-01 cams came in KL-DE's
i thought all KLZE's had KL-31 cams
KL-01 cams did come in KL-DE's, but the Curve neck KLZE came with a set of cams stamped KL-01(Some say they are DE cams, Some say they are different). The Straight neck KLZE came with KL-31 stamped cams, which have proven to be stronger than KL-01 stamped DE cams

Hope that clears it up :lol:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”