KLZE Distributor

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
rccardude04

KLZE Distributor

Post by rccardude04 »

I keep reading all of these guides on KLZE swaps, and they all seem to say to re-use the K8 distributor. Well, I'm having problems with my K8 distributor(s) and am trying to get away from them. Doesn't the KL-ZE come with its own disty which is better than the K8? Or am I completely lost?
Search didn't really do a whole lot for me. If I missed something, please point me that way.
-Eric
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

Yah klze disty in my opinion is better, The thing is it takes some rewiring to get it to hook up. Im guessing people are just to lazy lol. Also distributor caps are hard to find, and can only be purchased from jdm direct from japan and your not garanteed a good product. But positives, they have a 7th nipple to hook up an external coil. And gives a cleaner install over putting in a msd power tower into your a-spec distributor cap.

Yah i think it would be worth it to swap if you have the parts and knowledge to do it. There are several threads on here about installing an external coil and hei. You might as well do that at the same time. Or you can just do the mods to your k8 disty and the odds are it will fix your problem.

-Ryan
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2400330
rccardude04

Post by rccardude04 »

Great reply! That's exactly the info I was looking for :)
We put my new (2nd rebuilt) distributor in today and she runs like a champ again. It makes sense that it'd be nice to use the K8 disty because of the lack of parts for the KLZE one, but the K8 one just sucks so bad it's not even worth messing with I'd think. I would imagine the best route is either the HEI with the K8 disty or an entire ignition setup. The possibility of my swap is still a ways off, but I'm starting to consider it again.
I just don't know if I want to spend the money. It's just disturbing that the AC compressor is almost half the cost of the whole engine...
-Eric
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

No matter what sort of ignition system you build, your still using a k8 distributor in one way shape pr form. As for your comment on the ac compressor... You dont have to open up any lines. You simply just unbolt the 4 bolts holding the compressor to the braacket and wire it up aside to support it, while you pull your engine.
Mx-3 GSr : Rebuilt klde with 5spd swap, xtd stage 3 clutch, Magnaflow dual exhaust,Accord custom intake, kyb gr2 struts with eibach springs, civic dual halo projectors, black altezzas, white 15'' oz rims, rolling on dunlop street slicks.

rccardude04

Post by rccardude04 »

ryan_Fuerte wrote:No matter what sort of ignition system you build, your still using a k8 distributor in one way shape pr form. As for your comment on the ac compressor... You dont have to open up any lines. You simply just unbolt the 4 bolts holding the compressor to the braacket and wire it up aside to support it, while you pull your engine.
No, I meant that to replace the AC compressor, it's almost half the price of an engine. I can either replace the a/c compressor and the tension pulley, then valve cover gaskets for like 500 bucks, or buy an entire engine and have more horsepower.
Let's think about this .... :D
-Eric
wilko33

Post by wilko33 »

out of curisoty.. whats the problem with the K8 dizzy? I'm currently looking online for a KLZE one but re-wiring is too much of a pain in the a-- so going to go straight for my K8 one. Whats been your problemns with them??
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

nothing really wrong with the k8 distributor, its basically the same one used on all kseries engines. They are just known to have a bad ignition module that always goes faulty, and they have a very weak internal coil, that limits top end potential.

-ryan

rccardude04

Post by rccardude04 »

My factory one finally let go at ~140,000 miles. Here I am at 151,000 with another one in there. I figure it'll probably let go around 160,000. Lifetime warranty for the win! LOL
I'll probably do the HEI mod when I have the chance so that if I mess it up and it doesn't work, I can just go take the disty back and get another warranty one :p
Does the stock coil really limit top end potential? I wonder if a little performance gain could be had by going with an external coil... hmmm
-Eric
ryan_Fuerte

Post by ryan_Fuerte »

yah definetly worth looking into doing the external coil.

NeZmO

Post by NeZmO »

It is well worth your while to follow the external ignition module in the V6 faq forum and also do the external msd blaster coil. A $40.00 msd coil and a $12.00 GM ignition module + 30 minutes of wiring (for me) vs. a $260.00 replace disty? i know what i took. I've been running for a week now with no studders or problems. Also, I couldn't find a in stock msd coil tower and plug wire so I dremeled out an old corolla disty plug and epoxied it to the disty cover. lmao but hey, it works!!!
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

ryan_Fuerte wrote:Yah klze disty in my opinion is better, The thing is it takes some rewiring to get it to hook up. Im guessing people are just to lazy lol. Also distributor caps are hard to find, and can only be purchased from jdm direct from japan and your not garanteed a good product. But positives, they have a 7th nipple to hook up an external coil. And gives a cleaner install over putting in a msd power tower into your a-spec distributor cap.

Yah i think it would be worth it to swap if you have the parts and knowledge to do it. There are several threads on here about installing an external coil and hei. You might as well do that at the same time. Or you can just do the mods to your k8 disty and the odds are it will fix your problem.

-Ryan
Hmm thats funny, the disty's are the exact same, unless you have the one with 7 nipples (which is like 1:1000).
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”