ecu

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX3KEV21

ecu

Post by MX3KEV21 »

can someone tell me if a 1994 mx3 ecu (k838) will be ok on my 1992 mx3 gs it fit the harness no problem. my old ecu had (k820) on it.
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

You would be putting an OBDII ECU into a OBDI car. I think the OBDII cars might have an extra O2 sensor after the cat but I'm not sure. You could hook it up and pull codes with a 12v bulb going from ten to gnd in the diag box to see what, if anything, it will be unhappy about. The only thing I could see happening if it doesn't work right is poor gas millage. Do you already have this ECU or are you looking to buy it? If you are buying one, I would recommend just finding the older OBDI ECU to be sure that it will work.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
JM1EC-V6

Post by JM1EC-V6 »

Custom_V6_Limited_SE wrote:You would be putting an OBDII ECU into a OBDI car. I think the OBDII cars might have an extra O2 sensor after the cat but I'm not sure. You could hook it up and pull codes with a 12v bulb going from ten to gnd in the diag box to see what, if anything, it will be unhappy about. The only thing I could see happening if it doesn't work right is poor gas millage. Do you already have this ECU or are you looking to buy it? If you are buying one, I would recommend just finding the older OBDI ECU to be sure that it will work.
1994 is actually OBD1 (OBD2 starts in 1996).

No problems running a 1992 K8, but your radiator fans don't have the correct connection with this ECU to get ON.
'94 Mx-3 GS-R SE, KL-ZE Interprep. (From '96 PGT KL)
1110Kg
-Interprep KL31 Spec.
ported heads, Polished combustion chamber,3 angle vlv job,10.3:1 C.R.,0.020'' O.S.,KL31 cam,-0.007'' heads,Long neck IM,KL31 TB, Hotshot headers,2.25'' exhaust,Magnaflow cat
ImageImageImage

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”