Rebuilt Champion Alternator - Do Not Buy

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Mi|<E

Rebuilt Champion Alternator - Do Not Buy

Post by Mi|<E »

Not only do these things cost an arm and a leg at $ 355 CDN before the 90 dollar core reimbursement, they do not fit quite right in RS models. Granted I took the 90 amp alternator from the GS but they should be easily interchangable. Nope. These Champion models from Canadian Tire / Part Source have a lower bolt section too long for the stock alternator bolt. Granted its only 1 + 1/2 inch too small, try to find a 10 mil 1.25 bolt. I even went to a hardware store known to never not have what you need and they did not have one. I ended up using ready rod :P

On a good side note if you want to spend a bunch of cash and have to deal with problem after the next, sure go buy one. Im not knocking the alternator itself, works like a damn, but the whole installation process took 5 + hours of myself and an actual heavy duty mechanic using flowery language at parts.

Bottom line is avoid the champion alternators unless you like to spend lots of time rigging it up.
MX3_TURBO

Post by MX3_TURBO »

I sometime wonder what the hell they are selling at Canadian Tire!? The parts counter people more than half the time don't have any idea of what you need or what your asking for. LOL Sometimes you can get the same alternator or similar with hight output from another car in the same line up. I wonder if the probes use the same alternator?

I got one for my other car 91 Integra, same rebuilt champion crap, I opted to the higher output 90Amp GSR alternator. Stupid thing lasted litterally 1 year. And guess what no warranty anymore. So i took it to a local alternator shop, and guess what they didn't rebuild the entire alternator, champion sold me a POS all they did was replace parts inside and made it look new. I needed new diodes had the alternator shop put new ones in and works perfect now.
-=MX3_TURBO=-
PoisonDrop

Sorry for the late reply...

Post by PoisonDrop »

Just saw this topic and though I'd add my 2 cents...

I did the GS alternator swap about a year ago and I had the same problem. Researching further, I found that ALL GS alternators (or any other applicable alternator for the swap) use a longer bolt than the RS alternator. I had to order the bolt from Mazda. I think it cost me like $20.
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”