Intake

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Timmie_g

Intake

Post by Timmie_g »

Hey guys,

I put this Cold Air Kit on my car on Friday. I used various peices from an AEM kit for an 2000-05 Eclipse, and silicone connectors. A little sloppy becasue I didnt have the right size connectors. I have enough peices for 2 more of these kits if anyone is interested. It was easy to put together.

It's in no way made for our cars but I made use of old shop stuff that was available to me. If anyone is interested in getting one please let me know.

I noticed a pretty considerable gain in throttle response and a little more acceleration. Engine noise didnt change much, but I'm attributing that to the amount of silicone connectors I had to use.

The splash sheild on the bottom of the engine bay covers the filter nicely from water, so hydraulic-ing the engine isnt a constant worry for me.

Let me know what you guys think

Thanks
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

The 90* bend is going to be pretty restrictive, I would go for a bend that puts it just behind the headlight. Also, the filter is plenty low enough to the ground that a decent size puddle will be enough water to get in the filter. The plastic shield may keep rain out of it, but not a puddle.
Good looking pipe though. Nice find.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

woah, don't point the VAF facing down....its not good
and i see you have a plug on the line, why don't you run that to the valve cover breather house instead of venting it to the atmosphere and possibly getting a $400 ticket
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Timmie_g

Post by Timmie_g »

as far as the plug goes, it will go back to the valve cover breather as soon as i get the right hose. the fitting on the intake tube is much to small in diameter to work with the stock breather hose. so im getting the right size vaccuum T to make it work.

and as for the vaf, why is it a problem to point it down, i havent learned this yet and it may never come up in class but i've seen loads of people who have done it and never had an issue.(dont take this the wrong way, i am in no means saying your wrong)
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I've not heard that the VAF pointing down is an issue, but could see that gravity would hold the plunger a bit more than if it were level. The less the plunger opens the less air you get in the motor and the less HP you will get.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Timmie_g

Post by Timmie_g »

even so the engine should generate enough induction to open the plunger completly regardless of position.

and the idle air control should compensate for the extra force the plunger takes to open. the engine will work a bit harder at idle but nothing noticable

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”