Engine Check light

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Deano96GS

Engine Check light

Post by Deano96GS »

My engine check light came on while driving, is there a way to check what is wrong? i know i had a neon before, and you would turn the ignition on-off-on-off for 5 seconds and the light would flash a certain amount of times, giving you a code, telling you the problem. How do i do that with These mazdas<P>mx3-boi@shaw.ca
Deano, 1996 Black GS<BR>http://members.shaw.ca/mx-three
Smokin mx-3

Re: Engine Check light

Post by Smokin mx-3 »

there is a way it tells u in the online shop manual and the codes are in there too
Deano96GS

Post by Deano96GS »

whats the page number<BR>b/c i cant find it,<BR>that shop manual is hard to navigate
Deano, 1996 Black GS<BR>http://members.shaw.ca/mx-three

Post by Guest »

u have to jumper togethor to pins in the a box under the hood and it will give u the codes! i forget all the tech terms but thats what i had to do
back alley

Post by back alley »

could you re-explain that? i'm not following at all.<BR>thanks
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

ON V6's ONLY, the procedure is as follows:<P>Locate and open the "Diagnostic" box under the hood. It's behind the battery, on the firewall. Below is shown a representation of the pins inside the Diagnostic box:<BR> Image <BR>The pins labelled "TEN" (which stands for "Test ENgine" by the way) and GND (ground) are the pins of interest. Make sure the ignition is OFF and use a paperclip to jumper the TEN and GND pins together.<P>Turn on the ignition (do not start the car) and watch the CEL. After about 4-seconds, it will begin to flash any codes that may be stored. If there are no codes stored, the CEL will not flash (it will go out.)<P>Malfunction codes are generally 2-digit affairs although Mazda decided to get tricky. They include 2-digit codes that involve '0' (zero) as a digit. Code 02 is one example. Code 10 is another.<P>The codes are broken into a 10s digit and a 1s digit. The 10s digit is flashed first, followed by the 1s digit. The digits are distinguished by the length of time they flash the CEL. 10s digits flash the CEL on for 1.2-sec while 1s digits flash the CEL for 0.4-sec. Digits that are '0' (zero) flash the CEL exactly zero times.<P><BR>Here are the codes in order, followed by their respective descriptions.<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>02 'NE2' crankshaft position sensor <BR><LI>03 'G' camshaft position sensor <BR><LI>04 'NE1' camshaft/crankshaft position sensor <BR><LI>05 Knock sensor<BR><LI>08 Volume Air Flow sensor (VAF)<BR><LI>09 Coolant temperature sensor (CTS)<BR><LI>10 Intake air temperature sensor (IAT)<BR><LI>12 Throttle position sensor (TPS)<BR><LI>14 Barometric pressure sensor <BR><LI>15 LHO2S inactivation error<BR><LI>16 Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system<BR><LI>17 LHO2S inversion error<BR><LI>23 RHO2S inactivation error<BR><LI>24 RHO2S inversion error<BR><LI>25 Fuel pressure regulator control solenoid<BR><LI>26 Canister purge solenoid<BR><LI>28 EGR vacuum solenoid<BR><LI>29 EGR vent solenoid<BR><LI>34 Idle air control (IAC) solenoid<BR><LI>41 VRIS #1 solenoid<BR><LI>46 VRIS #2 solenoid<BR><LI>67 LFAN relay<BR><LI>69 ECTF sensor <BR></UL><P>Any questions?
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
back alley

Post by back alley »

clear, concise and plain language..thanks, ever so much
KingFisher

Post by KingFisher »

Deano same thing happened to me, We actually have the same car and everything (year and model) took mine into the shop and needed a new distributer cap and a couple other little things 500 Bucks later I was done!!!
ANDREW*<BR>1996 Mazda MX-3 GS
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KingFisher:<BR><STRONG>Deano same thing happened to me, We actually have the same car and everything (year and model) took mine into the shop and needed a new distributer cap and a couple other little things 500 Bucks later I was done!!!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Ahh, since there was only one year of OBD2, and only in Canada and not the US, I forget to mention that this diagnostic will not work on cars newer than 95 equipped with OBD2. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”