Problem while starting....

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
reegler

Problem while starting....

Post by reegler »

I have a 1993 mx-3 manual 4 cyclinder 1.6L, We recently cleaned out the air intake with specified cleaner and also cleaned out of the MAF, again with specified cleaner and now it starts fine and the RPM's go to about 1500 (for about a second), then drop to 1000 (again for a second or so) and then just dies. We put it in diagnostic mode by jumping GND and TEN and then adjusting the idle air screw. The engine was having some trouble before we cleaned everything but it would at least stay running.

Another problem is when i do start it (within the first 4 seconds before it dies), i push down on the gas and it stalls immediately. Also i think when i let up on the clutch that is stalled faster as well.

So im thinking either its the alternator (i thought this by reading other posts) or when we cleaned the air intake, we pushed some gunk back to the fuel injectors and thus thats why when i push down on the gas that it just dies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-tim
Clappy

Post by Clappy »

i have the exact same problem with my V6.. if i take my finger to the maf, and slowly push it in, i can keep the car running.. as soon as i let go, the car will stall..
-----------------
Tim
09 Dodge Challenger SXT
08 G5 White
93 MX3 SE Red
94 MX3 V6 Black
95 MX3 V6 Blue/purple
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

More likely you have a leak in the rubber air hose - when you cleaned it you probably cracked it.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
reegler

Post by reegler »

problem solved. Took apart the maf and the two connectors that are suppose to touch each other that engage the fuel pump were not touching.

-tim
Clappy

Post by Clappy »

how did you fix it?
-----------------
Tim
09 Dodge Challenger SXT
08 G5 White
93 MX3 SE Red
94 MX3 V6 Black
95 MX3 V6 Blue/purple
reegler

Post by reegler »

I opened up the MAF by removing the black panel that is sealed by some silicone sealant. I dont really recommend it unless your absolutely sure its the MAF. We figured it out by disconnecting the MAF and then starting it up. It should idle fine but try connecting the MAF plug back in and if it dies then you know thats it.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”