Need help, crank to cam timing question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
XxantwawnxX

Need help, crank to cam timing question

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Ok so i jsut put in my fidanze flywheel and new clutch but for reason i wont go into, my cam gear shattered : P. So i got a cam off my other motor np.

Now as im doing the timing the closest i can get it is about half a tooth off the mark (crank) the cams are perfect on the marks. Ive played with it for days and i cant get that crank to line up perfect but it is damn close. Now will this cause the car not to start all togheter? Being off just a lilttle bit like that. I expected it to start and run rough or somthing.

I just got done taking the tranny out and such so i was wondeirng is there was somhing else i could of misplaced or forgot to connect that would cause the car not to start. ONly thing i think i dont have connect is the knock sensor (got ripped) and the back up light switch on the tranny. Also im use MSnS if that triggers any ideas for anyone.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Are you following the instructions in the shop manual on how to install the timing belt? The upper idler pulley NEEDS to be the last piece put into place when doing the belt... Dunno why.. I messed with mine for 2 days before grabbing the dang shop manual.. followed those instructions (which werent THAT much different than what I had been doing) and BAM! first try right on the money.. before that.. always off by a tooth.. makes no sense really.. but give it a shot.. or if you look in the 6 cyl FAQ section.. I did a write up on it with pics. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Hmm yea i did not put the upper idler pully inlast...hmm but it seems most of it was the same as ur write up,, guess i gotta tear it down and do it again...YAY!!!

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Serious man.. I have no idea why that works.. its so weird as to really make you scratch your head.. And if it does the same thing for you as it did for me.. I'll be very glad cause then I will be assured that I wasnt actually going insane when I did that job LOL

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Oh yeah.. if I havent already mentioned it in the write up.. make sure you rotate the engine by hand at least twice once you have the belt on.. that will allow the tensioner to fully engage and will give you the most accurate read on your timing marks. I hand cranked her 4 or 5 times when I finally got the marks to line up just to make sure.. last thing I wanted was to have to tear it apart again :S

Cheers

Tunes67

XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

yea i did that 2 times..it alwasy came out just a hair off on the crank. But ill try the corrrect method here soon enough.

kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

if you have had your heads shaved a wee bit it will be off by a hair
just a thought.
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

kiwi_MX3 wrote:if you have had your heads shaved a wee bit it will be off by a hair
just a thought.
Hmm my heads are not shaved...but that interesting i never thought about that.

But,....does the crank shaft turn twice for every single turn of the cam? (or is it the other way around?) so could i have it like on the wrong turn for the crankshaft? does that make sense?

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yes the crank turns twice for each single time the cams turn.. however.. the piston position is still the same. The valve train determines which stroke is which.. Intake.. Compression.. Combustion .. Exaust.. As long as all marks from the crank and cams are correctly lined up.. your good.

Tunes67

XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

start car start!!!! haha : ( thought i had all the marks lined up perfect this time, i guess not : ( it will just turn over and turn over sometimes falling on its face in mid turnover guessing cause timing is not right) im sad. :cry: well time to tear it down again : P

XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

AHHH! well i think i got it....dumb on my part but. when i put the new cam gear on i put it on flipped so it had the R timing front instead of the L timing front....muhahah well im bout to time it again and see if it starts. : P dohhhh

XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Bingo!

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Glad you got it worked out man :2thumbsup:

Tunes67

XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

yup ..thanx for the help!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”