Red Autozam AZ-3 to Rasp. Met. MX-3 GS SE (1:43 scale model)

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
girllikethat

Red Autozam AZ-3 to Rasp. Met. MX-3 GS SE (1:43 scale model)

Post by girllikethat »

Hello, all! Please join me as I attempt to take a (1:43 scale) model of a red Autozam AZ-3 and transform it into a raspberry metallic MX-3 GS SE. Why am I doing this? Well, the truth is...I'm doing it for love. Automotive love and boyfriend love. :wink:

My boyfriend used to have a 1993 MX-3 SE (V6, Raspberry Metallic), but he totaled it on some ice. I've never seen a guy so devastated! This was a year ago. So now, I've gotten him a model of it, which will hopefully arrive and be finished in time for Easter (but realistically, probably not).

This was no easy task, as the only ones I could find came out of Japan and the raspberry metallic color was only available in North America. So, I bought a red model and now plan to simply fill in the fog lights (because the North American models didn't have them), sand it, prime it (I want to do this right) and repaint it.

I've found the paint (using the color code ::flush of pride::) at multiple places, but I will probably go through Mazda if possible just to make sure the color is exact.

I'm posting this to see if anyone has any advice on how to do this project right and/or if anyone would like to follow along on this journey. I will be posting progess reports and pictures here (unless someone decides this is the wrong forum for it). Thanks for reading!
girllikethat

Autozam AZ-3 into a (hopefully) flawless MX-3 GS SE

Post by girllikethat »

Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific in terms of what kind of advice I'm looking for. Any and all advice would be heartily welcome, but I'd love any painting advice or tips, such as how to add authentic (preferably chrome painted plastic or even metal) emblems on the trunk or hood, how to imitate the rubber seal of the sun roof, etc. Please don't hesitate to post the information or to send me a message (even if you just want to mention that you think this is a neat/stupid idea). A special thank you to those who helped me find the model in the first place and thank you in advance to those of you with advice!!!
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

I wish girls like you existed in my city.

You may want to look up a thread that was posted a while back detailing how to disassemble the model, which will make the painting go smoother and come out looking better. As a reminder it is really small. That's not to say it's going to be impossible. Your best bet would be to find a hobby shop that specializes in little toy game rpg thingys or whatever they are called. Those people are used to painting those extremely small figures and will be able to give you the best advice. And don't fill in the fogs; even if they weren't on his car I'm sure he would have liked to have had them. g'luck.

girllikethat

Post by girllikethat »

Haha thanks. I will look for that thread. Do you know what it's called? Thanks for your opinion on the fog lights. I have a feeling that he would have liked them too. I didn't even think of going to a hobby shop to get it painted. I was thinking about real autobody shops. Thanks again! :D
girllikethat

Post by girllikethat »

Quick update: I've moved my story about this project to the general MX-3 discussion, because they already have a thread going about it. I think you could also find it by searching by my username. Thanks to all! :D

Return to “Appearance”