looking for advice for my gs

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
greengoblin231
BANNED Member

looking for advice for my gs

Post by greengoblin231 »

Hello,

I am quite new here, I have a 93 GS with some minor engine work done. I am looking to bulid my 1.8 v6 up all n/a . I am not sure where to begin. I dont want to pull the motor or swap it. I am wondering what my options are, what companies make stuff and etc. I know the basics like upgrading the fuel system,spark,exhaust and intake and increasing combustion but I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I want to bulid more horsepower with out nitrous or a turbo install. any advice or suggestions would be greatly appericated.

Thanks! :)

1993 Mazda MX-3 GS
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

your not going to get much with what you want to do, to be honest. By not wanting to pull the motor or swapping your cutting out basically everything thats going to give you a real increasement in power. Your not going to get that much power with just bolt ons, not even with engine management. The K8 is a weak motor, and it was never designed for power, its designed to give you a little power and while still retaining decent fuel miledge.

So if you dont want to do Forced Induction, you don't want to Pull the motor to build it, and you dont want swap the motor, then i would say the power you have now is about all your going to get, you can do headers, exhaust, CAI, ignition and fuel upgrades, and even get engine management but you wont really get that much impressive numbers without some type of Forced Induction, Engine Swap, or Upgrading Internals.

My advice rethink what you want, your trying to get blood out of a rock and that just wont happen.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
greengoblin231
BANNED Member

Post by greengoblin231 »

I want to do internals but I am not sure where to begin. I want to bulid the motor.

1993 Mazda MX-3 GS
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Good luck, you're going to end up spending 5x more than what I spent for my motor and I'll still be able to rip you like you were standing still. Dont be so hellbent on building the 1.8L, its going to cost you alot of money for nothing. You'll regret it later.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

agreed i spent 3k on my kfze and i have more hp now spending the 1k than i did with the 3k in the kfze

why waste money on the 1.8 k8 when for 600-1000 more you can have a 2.5l
there is no replacement of displacement
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
greengoblin231
BANNED Member

Post by greengoblin231 »

totally understandable. right now I am trying to do a well rounded balance. I want to have some performance modifications done until I have enough money for the 2.5

1993 Mazda MX-3 GS
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well the nice thing is.. any bolt on mod you do to the K8 can be easily transfered to a DE or ZE engine (both 2.5L). So you can do your headers now.. CAI.. and maybe even do a HEI mod or setup some other aftermarket ignition or engine management system. Keep in mind that while most engine managment systems will work on both platforms.. you will need completely different fuel maps. Injector size & flow will also be different. Honestly.. the first thing you can do to make a difference in how well your engine performs is to simply read. This website is filled with information from thousands of previous owners that have done pretty much anything you can come up with to the 4 common K series engines that bolt into the MX-3 (K8, KFZE, KLDE, and KLZE).

cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
greengoblin231
BANNED Member

Post by greengoblin231 »

thanks for the advice, but I am not sure what to look for , I am new to the performance side of things. I PMed you.

1993 Mazda MX-3 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”