car shutters then misfires for several minutes

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
twoie

car shutters then misfires for several minutes

Post by twoie »

1992 gs automatic all stock with HEI only. For the past couple of weeks my car will shutter when it shifts from 1st - 2nd or 2nd - 3rd. Then it will misfire so bad its hard to get it up to highway speed. It does not happen all the time and will last from 5 - 10 minutes. After this all is normal for quit some time ( may be days ). The trans will not slip any time no matter how hard I push it. It feels like wheel hop when it's happening, but this is not possible and dry roads with stock k8?

If something is going wrong with tranny how does this tie into misfire?

Tried to pull codes but none. However when it is misfiring the CEL will flash but I thought this was because the cae was about to stall.

any thoughts?

thanks

Twoie
twoie

Post by twoie »

anyone have anything similar or even a remote guess? Search doesn't give me much. I keep getting VRIS or wheel hop associated with drag or racing.

twoie
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Did you disable the stock ignition module when doing the HEI mod?
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
twoie

Post by twoie »

no unless this is done by cutting the wires, but the cae has run fine for a few thousand miles. I followed the directions on the STICKY and it has worked fine. The problem is intermitant and it hasn't done it when I've had time to really look at it. I thought perhaps it's jumping time and then somehow the ECU is re-regulating things? But I thought it would at least give me a code. I still can't relate it to the shuttering ( like jumping feeling ) that preceeds the misfiring.

Thanks

Twoie
twoie

Post by twoie »

greater then 40 looks and only one idea?

anything would be greatly appreciated. Is it poss to jump time and go back on it's own?

twoie
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

The stock ignition module - if left in the system - can still screw things up. The HEI module takes the load off the stock module and hence sustain it for a while. But when the stock module goes completely bad it might create a short circuit which will bring the HEI module down with it. If the stock module failed with a open circuit condition then the HEI mod as per the sticky will work fine. In either case - disabling the stock module is a good idea.

Also check all the connections in the HEI mod for any loose/corroded connections. It might also be time for plugs, wires, cap, rotor change.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

also for how long have you had the module? Is it properly grounded? Mine went out after only 8 months of use. I had to buy another one. (10 dllrs @ autozone) Also check coil.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
twoie

Post by twoie »

thank you. I'll look at these things and get back with results or questions.

hgallegos915 The HEI has been done for 9 months. If d'c the coil, changing plugs and wires doesn't effect it, then I'll change out the HEI module.

thanks twoie
xxxguineapigxxx

Post by xxxguineapigxxx »

how many miles does the car have?
92' MX3 GS 1.8L V6 :)
stock now...not for long
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

My 92 GS behaved in exactly the same way until I cut the wire to the internal ignitor module in the disty.

-n
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
twoie

Post by twoie »

nope
that's where I'm at now. I started to add the external coil and should have it done soon.

thanks

twoie

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”