Can I tow my mx-3 v6 auto behind my truck

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
xcilver

Can I tow my mx-3 v6 auto behind my truck

Post by xcilver »

Can I tow my mx-3 v6 auto behind my truck, I need to drop in a new engine and I was wondering if it would screw anything up in the transmission? Thanks
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

as long as its in neutral
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

make sure front wheels are off the ground
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
xcilver

towing

Post by xcilver »

why does the front end have to be off the ground, will towing it in neutral mess up the drive train? is there a way to disconnect it like u joint or something? I am swaping an engine and I just have to tow it 30km , a tow truck costs $80.00.. I thought just pull it down the side roads behind my truck! thanks for helping with info!
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Yes you can tow it in neutral but the question is, do you really want to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx-Pz042vyg
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
xcilver

towing

Post by xcilver »

what happens to a auto transmission when towed behind another vehicle with all 4 wheels on the ground?
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

with trans not running the fluid is not being pumped throughout the trans, which may damage your transmission
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Also like you can see in the video something much worse can happen. I wouldn't suggest it, but I've done it myself.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Do what ive done.. in manual cars. i just simply get a small metal rod and stick it in where the slave cyl is, its like having the clutch pressed in all the time and your transmission doesnt get hurt.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
justin22_22

Post by justin22_22 »

get a tow dolly from u haul keeps the front wheels off the ground
Yoda

Re: towing

Post by Yoda »

xcilver wrote:why does the front end have to be off the ground, will towing it in neutral mess up the drive train? is there a way to disconnect it like u joint or something? I am swaping an engine and I just have to tow it 30km , a tow truck costs $80.00.. I thought just pull it down the side roads behind my truck! thanks for helping with info!
With any ATX neutral is not really neutral turn in the wheels will drive the tranny rotation parts and pumps causing fluid pressure and heat since for all intent and purposes the tranny will act like it is in Low since there is no speed signal from the engine and shift solenoids when towed with the wheels on the ground. The other option is to tow the car at speeds well below 20kph for short distances or find a wheel lift tow truck operator rather than a tilt bed.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”