very confused.....and a noobie

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
slomoostang

very confused.....and a noobie

Post by slomoostang »

hi all, this is my first post here. Like my username says i am a mustang guy. but my daily driver happens to be a 94 mx3. The timing belt broke the other day and i have started tearing it down for a new one. I bought a new belt, water pump and distributor for it. I guess i screwed up by taking the drivebelts off first. now i'm struggling to get the crankshaft bolt off. I searched and found the manual online. I need that special tool to hold the flywheel?? if anyone has done this themselves any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
lycanthrope

Post by lycanthrope »

assuming that you have a 1/2" drive ratchet, grab a buddy and do the following:

get some protective eye-wear and gloves (not needed for the buddy inside the car)

connect your battery back up so that you may bump/crank the engine

position yourself at the wheel-well where you can place the socket on the main pulley bolt head and then use the fender as a sheild from the ratchet if it happens to pop off the bolt-head...

the trick is to place the handle/end of the ratchet against a part of the steering or some metal frame (depending on the length of your ratchet), this will make the ratchet stationary and the starter (with a few gentle bumps) will torque the bolt free...

i had to do this on mine...
93MX3-B6ME, homegrown matching on my intake and head, HiFlow-Cat > 2.25" > no res. > Truck Muffler from Meineke (a.k.a. Mexican Flowmaster), 4 wheels with accompanying tires...<br>Image
slomoostang

Post by slomoostang »

you sir are a GENIUS. Worked like a charm. thanks so much guys. Now for the timing marks...im lookin at the manual and all it says is line them up?!?!?! On the cam gear teeth there is a goofy lookin machined slit in only those two teeth.are they significant?
lycanthrope

Post by lycanthrope »

it may not be any help to your timing situation, however, you can read one of my posts from last year, is has my procedure because the chilton manual was not helping much...

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

ps. my car still runs great and gets ~32-34mpg...

good luck...
93MX3-B6ME, homegrown matching on my intake and head, HiFlow-Cat > 2.25" > no res. > Truck Muffler from Meineke (a.k.a. Mexican Flowmaster), 4 wheels with accompanying tires...<br>Image
slomoostang

Post by slomoostang »

well.......................i just got the water pump on. Oh my gosh that was ridiculous. i still haven't even come halfway. The crank sprocket and timing mark were easy to see but i still don't see and or recognize the ones on the cams.?. Im calling it a night. tomorrow i hope to button every thing up and figure out the timing. but you will never now how much of a help you were lycan. i would have been scratchin my head all day.
lycanthrope

Post by lycanthrope »

yeah, i fought with that damn bolt as well, glad it worked out for you, sounds like you have a dohc, the timing answers are here, you just have to search for them...

good luck tomorrow...

leon

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”