k8 power

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Really? There's ALOT of swapped Mx-3's around Ontario. For the TO Mx-3 club, there actually only a handful who still have 1.8's
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
andy

Post by andy »

How much have I spent?

When I bought the hot pipes I paid $600 now you can get them for $200 or less. so lets use the $200 dollars price for arguments sake.
The first turbo I bought off ebay for $250 never boosted so I had to buy a second turbo for $300. So If I had to do it over I'd be up to $500 so far.
wastegate=$100, bov=$40, Used FMU=$50, 220cc injectors came with the millenia intake for $40. 255 lph pump=$80, used obx intercooler and pipes=$100, homemade MBC=$5, boost gauge&fuel/ratio gauge=$60.
2 1/2" mandrel bent exhaust and hooker aero chamber muffler$100.

So minus the overpriced hot pipes and the bad turbo that puts me at $1075. One thing you can't overlook is labor. I have done everything myself except weld the oil pan drain back tube. You could do it for less if you only ran say 6-7 psi, I didn't need the intercooler and pump until I went above 8psi. But boost is addictive once you start you'll want more.
If you want a standalone like the megasquirt you could add another $500 to the total. that includes the wideband you'd want to control the electronics.

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

andy wrote:How much have I spent?

When I bought the hot pipes I paid $600 now you can get them for $200 or less. so lets use the $200 dollars price for arguments sake.
The first turbo I bought off ebay for $250 never boosted so I had to buy a second turbo for $300. So If I had to do it over I'd be up to $500 so far.
wastegate=$100, bov=$40, Used FMU=$50, 220cc injectors came with the millenia intake for $40. 255 lph pump=$80, used obx intercooler and pipes=$100, homemade MBC=$5, boost gauge&fuel/ratio gauge=$60.
2 1/2" mandrel bent exhaust and hooker aero chamber muffler$100.

So minus the overpriced hot pipes and the bad turbo that puts me at $1075. One thing you can't overlook is labor. I have done everything myself except weld the oil pan drain back tube. You could do it for less if you only ran say 6-7 psi, I didn't need the intercooler and pump until I went above 8psi. But boost is addictive once you start you'll want more.
If you want a standalone like the megasquirt you could add another $500 to the total. that includes the wideband you'd want to control the electronics.

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
hey dude you drive that green one all over you tube huh??
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
andy

Post by andy »

I highly doubt its me but because I don't have access to youtube (banned here at work) I can't say for sure. I have never filmed my car but thats not to say someone else didn't. If it was my car I'm going to assume you can see the back of it. What are the plate #'s.

Andy P. 93 GS 1.8T
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

I have a noble green Mx3, and i have some movies on You Tube... but my car is slow as hell, so i doubt you are talking about me :P :wink:
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

who is that guy that drives that green mx-third with the k8 boosted then.... im pretty sure everyone has seen the videos...
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
Xavier

Post by Xavier »

As soon as i got my Mx-3
and distinguished the K8 engine,
I decided that i was going to swap for the 2.5
putting that much into
the K8 is a waste.
Blaze Red '92 K8 Mx-3 GS. Never got around to a ZE swap. SOLD
1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. Don't worry i'll come back around to the Mazda world.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

This post sucks and is going nowhere

I see both sides of the story, but to makes things easier and to save time just swap to a 2.5L, if you cant do that like outlaw just becuase of your location then do as you wish :)
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

this thread is a joke.

Seriously if you build up a k8 and waste your money I will come to your house and kick you in the balls!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
mab

Post by mab »

ya but it's like hot and cold klze power no contest!
Nothing like an mx3 project car
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

NO BUILDAGE OF A K8 IS TO BE ADVISED... MANLAW APPROVED?
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

I wouldnt bet on that ... :wink:
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Jesus.. let people build what they want to or have access to. Out of the box K8's may not have all the power potential of a KL series engine.. but they are reliable and are much more fuel efficient. And while not a rocket by any stretch of the imagination.. they are quick enough with only a few mods to keep most of the hondaf*gs at bay. Everyone wears different shoes.. until you try someone elses shoes on for a day.. try not to judge why they do what they do. I am putting a decent set of headers and a CAI on my K8.. why? Cause the engine has low miles and will last me for more than a few years.. but I wanted to let it breathe a bit better over all. My car wont beat a DE or ZE powered MX-3.. but then.. I aint racing anyone either. So while you all can beat your chests about how great your DE's and ZE's are or how much better of a starting platform it is than the K8.. I'll be saving $$$$ hand over fist in comparison every time I go to fill up my tank.

There is always someone faster than you. Doesnt matter what engine you have.. Doesnt matter what kind of car you drive. There is ALWAYS someone faster than you.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

Tunes67 wrote: I am putting a decent set of headers and a CAI on my K8.. why?
Do the 2.5 headers fit the K8 engine ? Let me know wich headers you are going to put , ok ?

Tunes67 wrote: There is always someone faster than you. Doesnt matter what engine you have.. Doesnt matter what kind of car you drive. There is ALWAYS someone faster than you.

Tunes67
This was the best sentence i saw posted on this forum... dont forget this stuff and you will live longer :wink:
I almost lost my life beccause i didnt care for this sentence, and fate teached me that i cant get a second chance :?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

OutlaW wrote:Do the 2.5 headers fit the K8 engine ? Let me know wich headers you are going to put , ok ?
Yes, they do fit. You can get sets off eBay

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”