Old topic, new question (help w/ TB please!)

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
adzidek

Old topic, new question (help w/ TB please!)

Post by adzidek »

So, I read and printed the throttle body cleaning procedure, but I'm iffy on the removal part of it. Do I really need to do a coolant flush before removal??
adzidek

Post by adzidek »

I said "flush", but I meant drain. The shopman says to drain all the coolant. This would suck for me, cause I just did a full flush. Can I get away with removing the TB without draining coolant?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yes.. but you will need to rebleed the air system afterwards to get any possible air bubbles out. This is pretty easy to do.. just park the car nose first up a slight hill or incline.. do your work.. once its all back together.. just remove the radiator cap and start your car.. (this is best done with 2 people) watch the coolant at the radiator.. you will notice a slight drop of the coolant level when the thermostat opens.. any air in the system should be gone by that point (you may have seen a few bubbles in the coolant at the radiator) replace the radiator cap and shut off the engine.

You dont HAVE to do this step.. its only a little bit of air and it would likely work its way back out on its own.. but its always best to make sure you have all the air out.. oh and dont forget to refill the coolant as well.

Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
adzidek

Post by adzidek »

Thanks for the tip! BTW, by slight incline do you think regular driveway-type incline is enough? And since we're on the subject - why do I need to be on an incline??

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”