KEY LIGHT

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

666raCing wrote: the iirc unit?
LOL
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

First make sure the interior lights and key light come on when door is open.
If none do, check if interior lights can come on via manual select.
If interior lights do with manual select and not door opening, then check the door jam switch (which have a tendancy to fail over time).
If door jam switch has been fixed and;
If interior lights do and the key light doesn't;
Then perhaps it's the key light bulb.
If not the bulb, then perhaps the timer relay.
Online shop manual might address that.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Red_Power

Post by Red_Power »

Hi, i've read this topic, and figured out that the bulb in my mx was burnt-out , so i've changed it today. Now everything is fine except that light does'nt turn off when i close the door. I've waited about 2 mins and it did'nt turn off :? I don't understand what can be wrong, it turns off when i start the engine, but when i turn off the engine, light turns on again till the next engine start :evil:
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Red_Power wrote:Hi, i've read this topic, and figured out that the bulb in my mx was burnt-out , so i've changed it today. Now everything is fine except that light does'nt turn off when i close the door. I've waited about 2 mins and it did'nt turn off :? I don't understand what can be wrong, it turns off when i start the engine, but when i turn off the engine, light turns on again till the next engine start :evil:
Perhaps the reason that bulb burned out in the first place was because of a possible electricl surge or short. That being the possible cause, it stands to reason that the timer relay that times out that light may have also been affected. Has there been some electrical activity done recently to the car?? Perhaps a new stereo, or the wiring up of some other component like a security alarm or something similar. Perhaps that eletrical work was the cause in the first place.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
Red_Power

Post by Red_Power »

Hm.. maybe you're right :) I bought this car a month ago, so i don't know who has installed the alarm system and so on (i've installed mine stereo there, but the fuse did'nt blow while i was installing it :? ). I'll try to search for the problem a few days later :)
Oh, about the key light colour and the bulbs.. What do u think about LEDs ? I think that i'll add several red LEDs around the starter, huh ? :)
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Red_Power wrote:Hm.. maybe you're right :) I bought this car a month ago, so i don't know who has installed the alarm system and so on (i've installed mine stereo there, but the fuse did'nt blow while i was installing it :? ). I'll try to search for the problem a few days later :)
Oh, about the key light colour and the bulbs.. What do u think about LEDs ? I think that i'll add several red LEDs around the starter, huh ? :)
That would be a good start. Perhaps if you're able to find out from the previous owner who did the alarm install, you may make some headway. As far as replacing the bulb with LED's, I would first make sure it's up and working correctly with the prescribed bulb first. The oem colour around the key ignition is green. I wouldn't be surprised that by introducing an LED in place of the regular bulb you may encounter new problems. I believe the timer that's connected to the key-light will rely on the resistance provided by that bulb. Substituting an LED will drop or reduce the circuits resistance loading and may not achieve the desired results. I'm just hypothizing on that though. g/l
kr

Post by kr »

Red_Power wrote:Hi, i've read this topic, and figured out that the bulb in my mx was burnt-out , so i've changed it today. Now everything is fine except that light does'nt turn off when i close the door. I've waited about 2 mins and it did'nt turn off :? I don't understand what can be wrong, it turns off when i start the engine, but when i turn off the engine, light turns on again till the next engine start :evil:
The 1993 Body Electrical Troubleshooting Manual has this to say.

Symptom:
Ignition key illumination lamp does not go out or illuminates too long (too short)

Possible cause:
Damaged cpu

Remedy:
1. Open the door and verify that the lamp comes on.
2. Close the door and verify that the ignition key illumination lamp goes off 20-40 seconds after the door is closed.
3. If not as specifed, replace the cpu.

I have the same in my mx-3, light doesn't go out. I simply pulled the lamp, don't need it anyway... I'm not replacing the cpu as everything else works fine.

You could rewire the lamp directly to the door switch circuit and use a capacitor to get a delay before the lamp goes off.

Or, as jschrauwen suggested, check the wiring to the alarm. Could be some crazy wiring going on there... :roll:
Kristian Ravantti
-- MX-3 V6 '93, still mostly stock, hasn't left the garage in ~2 years --
Red_Power

Post by Red_Power »

Hm... I pulled the bulb too and i thought that i won't fix this problem now, b/c my mx has some other problems, like an old timing belt and so on... :roll: But i still have some nice ideas about the key light :twisted:
Will write and add some photos as soon as the ideas will be actualized :)

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”