what do you think about this engine?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

YEa, that was bad, and we were PISSED! especially me cause his car sat in my garage for the longest time!
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Custommx3 wrote:Image

this is what you do not want!!! Its called "engine coking". Its basically its from engine neglect, not changing oil, and crappy engine additives.

this pic is from a ZE we put in an MX-6. We did NOT use this engine. We called the supplier when we opened this up. We sent him pics, and all we ended up only having to pay shipping for a new motor. He ended up selling the motor for parts and got his shipping back. How's that for a free ZE, lucky sob.
You know that finding engine like this imported for Japan is more common that you think. When Sean was importing engine I would say that one in 5-6 were this bad. The thing is engines from Japan are low mileage but on the other hand a car is only owned for usually no more that 4 years there so maintance isn't a big issue of non performance model and in many cases just isn't done. Just some of my relatives who didn't know what an oil change was to that spark plugs needed to be changed as well.

BTW an engine operating at low rpms most of it's life is probably just as bad as an engine running at redline all day long. Actually probably worse as there are more dynamic forces acting of the rotating parts revving the engine at the lower rpms.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I would say that one in 5-6 were this bad. The thing is engines from Japan are low mileage but on the other hand a car is only owned for usually no more that 4 years there so maintance isn't a big issue of non performance model and in many cases just isn't done
Unfortunately.. its probably even more common than that. I've seen more bad JDM import engines for mazda's, toyota's and even a honda than I have seen good ones. Maybe its the importers around here.. but I learned real quick that importers rarely inspect the engines they receive. Definately a "Buyer Beware" situation.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

aggghhh... thats an horrible engine...

I find another one, what do you think about it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &rd=1&rd=1

the shipping cost would be very cheap compared to other sellers to my contry, only 7 hous left... please help me, anything to ask to the seller to check the engine without seeing it?
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

I think this engine is a good option yor me, if the engine doesn´t work fine the shipping to refund it is half of the other sellers, and he has a lot of possitive feedbacks about her engines.

I want to performance a little after put it, I think to change the exhaust headers, clutch and flyweel, any recomendation about that parts?

Where to buy the engine mounts?

Would be good to get the oil and whater pumps too?

I will need something more than this and the ECU?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

aguiloco wrote:I think this engine is a good option yor me, if the engine doesn´t work fine the shipping to refund it is half of the other sellers, and he has a lot of possitive feedbacks about her engines.

I want to performance a little after put it, I think to change the exhaust headers, clutch and flyweel, any recomendation about that parts?

Where to buy the engine mounts?

Would be good to get the oil and whater pumps too?

I will need something more than this and the ECU?
Hey, those are good questions, you can acctually use your stock mounts but maybe fill them with polyurathane (do a search for this on the forum).

You can also utilize your MX3 flywheel as that works great, or you can get a lightwieght Fidanza flywheel. As for a clutch there are many options but I do recommend that you upgrade to a Higher performance ford probe clutch (10mm larger). As for a ECU, you can get your k8 ecu chipped, but you can also get a kl31 or kl36 ecu, there is some on eBay now.
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

not bad.
rebuilding? may as well.
if you do, but in KL valve retainers
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Tunes67 wrote:
I would say that one in 5-6 were this bad. The thing is engines from Japan are low mileage but on the other hand a car is only owned for usually no more that 4 years there so maintance isn't a big issue of non performance model and in many cases just isn't done
Unfortunately.. its probably even more common than that. I've seen more bad JDM import engines for mazda's, toyota's and even a honda than I have seen good ones. Maybe its the importers around here.. but I learned real quick that importers rarely inspect the engines they receive. Definately a "Buyer Beware" situation.

Tunes67
Now that the engine has been out of production for 4 years, the last of cars with this engine will be coming of the road in the next year or so. The cars with the best engines with be picked over first buy the grey market used cars dealer overseas. Then there are the companies that will buy these used cars and sit on them for 15 years before exporting them for sale. After that the cars left get broken down for parts. Then the JDM guys that go over to Japan to hand pick the best of what they want go after that. Then the average JDM shop will just call in their order like they were at the supermarket filling a shopping basket. Beside that there are some of the engine imported aren't even JDM but come from higher mileage car originally sold in HK, Malyasia or Indonesia. I hate to be one of these younger guys looking to buy a engine after the next year or two.
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

I don`t like to listen that about imported engines, but I was a year thinking about the SWAP and always I end up hitting against this wall, I must buy one and try fortune.

Many time ago I read that all the motors don´t have the same connectors, how I can know if the engine that I am going to buy takes such that the K8?
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

nobody knows ow to identify a KLZE engine with the same connectors as my k8?
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

I was looking better around here and I got that finally questions:

All KLZE engines use OBDI harness except the newest version?

My 93 MX-3 would be OBDI, but I see the ECU under the seat and it isn´t the same as the KL31 ECU that I see on ebay, my ECU has two white connector getting out, not 3 like the OBDI ECUs should have, right?.

I´m confusing about my future wiring...
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Your ECU is under your radio on the floor, your seatbelt computer is under your seat.
aguiloco

Post by aguiloco »

mmm, just under the radio or under the radio at floor level? I disamble the plastic around the shift and dont see the ECU. Can you put an image of the location or tell me where to see it on the workshop manual?

thanks!
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

Yoda wrote: Now that the engine has been out of production for 4 years, the last of cars with this engine will be coming of the road in the next year or so. The cars with the best engines with be picked over first buy the grey market used cars dealer overseas. Then there are the companies that will buy these used cars and sit on them for 15 years before exporting them for sale. After that the cars left get broken down for parts. Then the JDM guys that go over to Japan to hand pick the best of what they want go after that. Then the average JDM shop will just call in their order like they were at the supermarket filling a shopping basket. Beside that there are some of the engine imported aren't even JDM but come from higher mileage car originally sold in HK, Malyasia or Indonesia. I hate to be one of these younger guys looking to buy a engine after the next year or two.
all toooooo dam true unforunately. i have worked at an automotive importing company and the words you type are no truer than a k8 is a waste of time modifying. this is what is already happening with 4agze, 4age's, high/low comp and 20v's alike and starting to happen with 5sfe,3sge's, 3sgte's, bp, b6, sr20dets, 1jz/2jz's.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”