Coolant

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
mazdaguy25mx3

Coolant

Post by mazdaguy25mx3 »

Alright, i have been playing with my coolant problem for sometime now, and still can't figure it out.. it's starting to erk me off... :x i was woundering if someone could tell me how the coolant works, everything evan the part of the over flow. please help!!!! if it helps, my coolant keeps flowing back into the over flow some how, don't really know how. i have replace both caps, and the temp, sensor.
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

This link explains it very well. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cooling-system.htm

Coolant is actually supposed to flow into your plastic expansion tank. That's what it is there for. As the coolant heats up it expands and goes into that tank until the engine is off and cools back down. Do you mean it is overflowing the expansion tank into the eng. bay and on the ground? In that case, the coolant is getting too hot and you should be seeing your dash cluster heat gauge read high (like above midpoint on the gauge). Don't run the engine overheated as the aluminum cylinder head is prone to warp when it gets too hot - causing a blown head gasket, warped head and mucho $$ to fix. You mentioned "temp, sensor" was replaced. Does that mean a temp sensor or the thermostat? Car has both. If running hot and overflowing your expansion tank, worn out thermostat is the most likely cause (& cheap fix).
Image -Jim
mazdaguy25mx3

Post by mazdaguy25mx3 »

Ya sorry i do mean thermostat, and no the temp. gauge doesn't go pass half, so i really am at a lost
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

What is the condition of your Rad?

I was having problems with my Rad for a while where it was causing too much coolant to flow over to the reserve tank after the car was shut off. I never really figured out why it was doing it or how to fix it because after a few weeks of doing that it stopped on its own.
mazdaguy25mx3

Post by mazdaguy25mx3 »

I think it is in good condition, by looking at the outside, it holds pressure, so yes it's in good condition. also what yours was doing sounds like what mine is doing, i wish mine would stop doing it.
"Demized Concepts" My Friends and mine car club. also on myspace.com

http://WWW.Myspace.com/demizedconcepts
panheader

Post by panheader »

I've had a compression leak into the water jacket force coolant out the overflow before.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”