header installing...leak...sounds terrible

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
PWRD_BY_HKS

header installing...leak...sounds terrible

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

if you guys remeber i posted back in x mas i got my obx headers and just put them in .... i finally for all the pipes welded, and i turns out i have a HUGE header leak...im not sure exactly from where but i just wanted to ask if any one had this problem:
first off my headers didint really line up, i had to use help of people to help me kick them into place ...i litterally had to force them in and the top screws in the front fit well the bottom didint even go in but i figured since the top bolted up then its was all good....
2.nd it sounds like crap ... i mean i hate to use the words but it is what it is.....
3.rd it feels like it has no low end torque....

before you ask i did plug the EGR part of the rear header....

if i am supposed to torque them....at how much ...any information is help full....
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

well make sure every bolt is in that needs to be in...also DO NOT tighten any bolts till every bolt is in...it leaves ALOT more play , once u get all the bolts in(they should be barely even threaded in) then u can tighten them down. Now my headers fit perfect....so i dont know what ur prob is... u did put ur o2 sensors back in right?

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

yup they're in
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

when i put my headers on i had no low end tq on my DE as well.. and i got more rasp with headers then the oem manifolds and the mechanic who put them on had that fitment issue as well but mine dont leak..
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

im gonna try to do it cuz i can afford to pay some one to do something i can do...so thats why im trying to get some opinions...on this being normal at all ...i mean are those headers supposed to be forced in like i had to? or is it suppposed to be a smooth fit
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

haha i didn't lose torque with mine. It gained i can tell right away.

I had the fitment issue as well on the rear. it just takes some time and it will go. I don't have any leaks though
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I have a rear leak on the bottom pass side and it is a nasty ticking sound like lifters. Havent fixed it yet but that is proly where the issue is.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

My car is VERY quiet.. check out the vid i posted.vid section. Also if u have leaks they MAY compromise the o2 sensor readings.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

hey im aobut to get mine done i was gunna do it my self but i cant get the bolts off lol i got a quote for 500 ? is that good or bad ?
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Mm bad.

I got mine installed when they did the rest of my exaust, cost me 250 for install.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

he said 200-250 and then i showed him the car and hes liek ohh v6 hey.. ill give u a new quote..( i told him it was v6 b4) but im gettin a quote from mazda..i guess will c
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

well the headers are not a direct fit eaither. there 8 icnhes longer because there for a pgt or mx6.does the shop also know that. that will be more becaiuse they need to move your cat back.

John
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

yea i did..umm can any of you tell me aobut heat wrapping? i no its mainly for tubro applications but it couldnt hurt right? is it worth it for N/A or no ?
turbulence23

Post by turbulence23 »

i also ordered a set...

but i''ve read here, that they still rust ( not like they manufacurer claims) and that they are gonna paint it with zincspray..

do i need to sand down the pipes ( that chromey layer) of just degreas it and spray away...
2.5L KLZE engine, CF hood, Postert frontbumper, kmax skirts, custom diffusor..

MY RIDE:
http://www.mazdamx-3.nl/members/member_show.php?id=102

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”