Misfire

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
1992blazeredgs

Misfire

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

Yesterday my car started to misfire pretty badly on the way home. I have new spark plugs(autolite resistor plugs, really cheap plugs). My plug wires are maybe two years old. I pulled them to check the resistance and all met specs at about 6k ohms resistance. On two of the plugs the boot at the end of the wire where it connects onto the plug is gone because they tore when taking wires off awhile ago. My fuel filter is maybe 1 1/2 years old. I have no error codes.

With all that being said, the car will misfire horrible at idle, if i give it gas it usually stops about 2k rpm and occasionally will take until 3k prm before it stops misfiring. Than when i let off the gas it will misfire again as soon as the rpms drop. Any ideas??

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

When was the last time you replaced your distributor cap & rotor? And did you have a lot of moisture (rain, snow, etc..) in the air prior to this symptom? Check the distributor cap for cracks as well as electrode condition. Make sure there is no moisture inside the cap either. In the online shop manual you will find further procedures for testing various ignition related components. Best of luck.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

The cap is in good shape and I just replaced the rotor. The new rotor did not fix the problem. Can spark plug wires still cause a misfire if they read the appropriate resistance?? Also could running a cheap spark plug cause this, even if they are new??

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
skillz1two

Post by skillz1two »

replace the plugs and wires, fuel filter.. also do a throttle body service and injector flush. when you remove the plugs check for any burn spots around the plugs. try those first.
skillz1two

Post by skillz1two »

replace the plugs and wires, fuel filter.. also do a throttle body service and injector flush. when you remove the plugs check for any burn spots around the plugs. try those first.
JM1EC-V6

Post by JM1EC-V6 »

Check for liquids (water/oil) in spark plugs holes.
'94 Mx-3 GS-R SE, KL-ZE Interprep. (From '96 PGT KL)
1110Kg
-Interprep KL31 Spec.
ported heads, Polished combustion chamber,3 angle vlv job,10.3:1 C.R.,0.020'' O.S.,KL31 cam,-0.007'' heads,Long neck IM,KL31 TB, Hotshot headers,2.25'' exhaust,Magnaflow cat
ImageImageImage

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”