top speed problem

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MX3KEV21

top speed problem

Post by MX3KEV21 »

can someone please help? my car when accelerating in the first three gears goes really fast then when i take forth gear to 7000rpm (takes a while) and put it into fifth gear the car will hardly accelerate struggles to get to 110mph. but if i take it to say 5000rpm in forth gear and put it into fifth the car will accelerate a bit better but can still only get 110mph within 1mile. or is that speed within that distance reasonable?
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ive had this problem for a very long time and i still have it. very sluggish in 4th and 5th is basically dead. but the first gears go by instantly. have you checked your cat or exhaust restrictions maybe
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
panheader

Post by panheader »

According to my Chilton manual, peak power is produced between 5500 and 6500 rpm (depending on whether it is a 4 or 6), so at 7000 you are actually below max HP. That could explain better pulling power when you shift at 5000. Even something as sleek as an mx-3 creates a lot of resistance cutting thru the air, and that may be the max it'll handle with the power available.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

dyno the car, not for racing purposes just for diagnosic.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”