Just bought mx-3... But was it worth it???

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
ProjectMx-3

Just bought mx-3... But was it worth it???

Post by ProjectMx-3 »

On december 12,2006 I bought a 1993 Mazda Mx-3 1.6l SOHC w/ 167k miles for $700.

He said all it needed was a valve cover gasket,brakes and a cv boot. ha turns out it needed more. I went to get new brakes and a cv boot when the mechanic told me and showed me that the two front axles needed to be replaced...OK so I got new axles (cv boot included), new brakes, the cylinders and springs inside the brakes,an oil change, and 4 new tires for $500
I went to autozone and bought the valve cover gasket repairing it myself. $11.99 Bought new spark plugs and fuel injector cleaner $10. Ok so it's been running good...Until tonight. It's Christmas and i had to drive 50 miles to my grandmothers, get off the highway and bam the engine dies with lots of smoke...It overheated and isn't holding water. I also noticed the timing belt cover gasket was blown. So im actually stuck here tonight. Tomorrow morning i will go to autozone for a new gasket and water pump that will cost me about another $50. Hopefully it will run smooth.

So although I like the Mx-3's body style and interior and the fact that it's got a lot of potential...Im having second thoughts. But I'll keep it and make it work! So far i have had 2 1/2" exhaust piping with a 4" tip installed. Sounds CLEAN!
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Nothing againts you but what do you expect from a $700 14yearold car with about 170k miles?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
ProjectMx-3

Post by ProjectMx-3 »

True. But Stock mx-3's don't run for more than $1,500. $1,500 meaning it's in tip top shape and needs no work. So yes I got what i payed for. He wanted $1,000 so I offered him $700
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Really, if your looking for a daily driver, finding a MX3 that can do that for you is going to be tough.

Unless your going to swap a new engine into it like a KLZE or BPT. Because then, along with the engine, you might aswell change the other stuff like the CV Joints and such anyway.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
ProjectMx-3

Post by ProjectMx-3 »

[quote="Juans_93_MX3"]Really, if your looking for a daily driver, finding a MX3 that can do that for you is going to be tough.

Unless your going to swap a new engine into it like a KLZE or BPT. Because then, along with the engine, you might aswell change the other stuff like the CV Joints and such anyway.[/quote]

yea i like to swap out the motor. 90hp aint gettin the job done
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Its 88hp! And that was back in '92 so now its probably down to 75hp.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

ProjectMx-3 wrote:True. But Stock mx-3's don't run for more than $1,500. $1,500 meaning it's in tip top shape and needs no work. So yes I got what i payed for. He wanted $1,000 so I offered him $700
$1500 for tip top condition mx-3? that's oxymoron, it just doesn't happen
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

What are you talking abought 1500 for a mint mx-3? Mint mx-3's in canada sell at 7-8 grand, in the U.S. 4-6 grand. Who told you that?

Yes, buying a 700 dollar mx-3 was probably worth it. For 1200 dollars you got yourself a good mx-3, but the engine blew.

So now you swap out the motor. Lets lay down 2000 grand for motor (BPT) and all the extra goodies (clutch/flywheel, new seals, alt, pumps blah blah blah...)

Now you have a FAST mx-3, thats not gonna break because you put in brand new everything.

to sum it up, for 3200 you pretty much just bought your self a great car. It would be less than that if you shop around.

But honestly, if you thought buying a 700 dollar car wasn't going to require any work, your as high as a kite.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Vanished wrote: So now you swap out the motor. Lets lay down 2000 grand for motor (BPT) and all the extra goodies (clutch/flywheel, new seals, alt, pumps blah blah blah...)
Gee i never though it was that expensive :roll:
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

Vanished wrote:What are you talking abought 1500 for a mint mx-3? Mint mx-3's in canada sell at 7-8 grand, in the U.S. 4-6 grand. Who told you that?
No they don't, even mint ones with low KMs in Canada don't go over $5000. MX-3s are simply not worth much any more no matter what their condition is.
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

these cars still sell for over 10,000 here in bc so i dont know why everyone bitches about paying 1500. i bought mine for 6500 which was n a front end accident (over 3500 damage), this was 4 years ago and they were still on the lot for 10-13,000. ive even had one shipped over from ontario which was 1400 shipping on top pf buying the car due to it being way cheaper than anything for sale around here. even now days these car are not cheap here, in alberta they are a bit cheaper and slightly dropping in price but that is due to the province doing better and people making more money. in all you got a good deal but you should have spent the 50-100 bucks and taken it to a mechanic to check over. now you got a very good excuse to do a motor swap.
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Yah ontario has a sloo of really cheap mx-3's. I never really knew the reason why, some speculated because it's just warm enought there in winter that they salt the road like crazy, therefore abit more rust?

I'm really not sure, just a speculation. In ontario i have no doubt that they sell for 5 g's or less, but i've been looking for mx-3 for the past coupel years in the paper, and they all fall between 3-8 grand, sometimes the odd one thats abit more, or a bit less.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

if u do end up swapping the engine out hit me up. i can get you any motor for much less than everyone is stating. i am in so cal also, if you ever need help let me know.
chertel

Post by chertel »

I was looking for a winter car and saw lots of mx-3's in the auto trader and bargain finder for over five thousand. There are some cheaper ones out there with high km's or that need work.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I got my gs for 1000. It needed a paint job. K8 engine was perfect.. but i had to replace bearings bleh and sregular maintenance.. it gave me hell when i first got it was the kfze engine that gave me that bad luck.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”