Failed MOT on Brake Lines - How do I change?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
daryl

Failed MOT on Brake Lines - How do I change?

Post by daryl »

Hi,

I failed on this:
001 (both front to rear) brake pipe excessively corroded.
002 (both rear) brake pipe excessively corroded.

I'm new to cars in general, so it would really help me out if you could answer a few questions for me. ( My car is a 93 1.8 )

1. What is the easiest way to drain the brake fluid system?

2. Can I replace the pipes using a roll of cupro-nickel brake pipe, some new unions, a double flare tool and a pipe bending tool?

3. Once drained, I was going to remove the old brake pipes and then bend the new pipe to match the old one as best as I can before fitting. Is this an acceptable way of doing it?

4. Do I need any special tools, or is there anything I have missed out?

Thanks
D
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Here's what I would do if I were you. Go to a reputable Shop and pay them to do it. A amature should not make and run his own brake lines there are to many things that can go wrong. You don't want to be responsible for the death of someone because you installed brake parts improperly!
daryl

yeah I thought of that

Post by daryl »

The guy at the local garage said he would do it for me cheap if I took off the brake lines myself and brought them to him along with any new unions that were needed.

He said its not hard taking them off or fitting them, its just making the new ones right thats the problem.

So I will probably get him to do it, but I have still got to take them off.

I am studying as a motor vehicle technician at college, but I only started in September and we are still looking at engines and have not got round to braking systems yet.

I spoke to my teacher about it today, and he said that it should be fine to do myself as long as I practice making the flares until I can get it right and test it all for leaks.

But I will still probably take up my mechanics offer to make up the pipes for me and I will just remove the old and fit the new ones.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I sorta agree with Trvor. Brake line bending is hard to match to a stock line. You'll need them to be pretty perfect or the lines will not fit back into the stock holding clips under the body. Secondly a poor flare will cause brake failure. You can do it if you are pretty mechanically inclined and have patients and attention to detail. Be careful, take your time and do it right.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
daryl

Has anyone made their own brake lines?

Post by daryl »

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, but I found an interesting link on making double flares for anyone else who is interested.

http://www.joesfalcon.com/gentip2/gentip2.html

Has anyone else made their own brake lines?

The guy at my local garage (where I often hang out and annoy him) uses 'bundy tube' as its refered to in the uk and makes up his own brake lines for all cars that come into his garage needing new lines.

So there must be someone who has done it on an MX-3.
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Here's a rather expensive thought but if your brake lines need replacement your fuel lines can't be far behind. Call mazda and order up all new prefabed lines. I just had a buddy do it and it only ran him abou $800 cnd for all Brake and fuel lines. Than there is no messing around and it's a realitivly easy install.
daryl

There is a slight money and quality issue there.

Post by daryl »

Unfortunately I cannot afford to buy pre fabricated lines.

Also getting new lines made out of 'Bundy Tube' is better than what Mazda originally supplied as is does not really corrode, being made of cupro-nickel (a mix of copper and nickel). They would last longer than the car probably.

I found another link for PROBESTORE where they sell MX-3 brake Unions.
http://www.fordprobestore.co.uk/store/i ... Path=51_75

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”