[GI] Possable GB on USDM Side Skirts

New product ideas and status of new product development postings.
havoc13

Post by havoc13 »

im interested
Always under construction
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

im interested also
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Well it seems like Pat should be the one to take this on as he knows so much about it.

for one I was talking about making a Urethane mold. not urethane skirts. a urethane mold is rather easy to make, and you can use it over and over again. vs a FG mold where you only really get 10 to 20 good runs. but to purchase enough urethane to make a mold of one skirt will cost around 250 USD.

the reason they are only 250 and not 400 like everyone else wants is because of the way they are made.

I was looking into vacuum sealing as that’s just as good as a 2 piece compression mold.

Im just trying to help people out, im not here to screw anyone. I have talked to several companies about making these, and the products and process im using is more than enough and more than most, im sorry if you disagree.
Last edited by Josh on December 10th, 2006, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

atlantamx3 wrote:
Nd4SpdSe wrote: The sad part is that everyone wants them until it comes time to buy them. :?
MX-3.com in infamous for this.... :roll:
any forum is like tha actually
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

PATDIESEL wrote:You talking to me Josh? I'm not interested in making them, just asking some educated questions about how they will be made etc.
I could see these being made by someone in their spare time for 250, using the right materials, with a proper mold, and still making some good money. I hope that your post was not sarcastic and you are saying that my questions or comments were out of line somhow...
No not at all,

it just seems like you know quite abit about this. And I would like you to share more info on what you know.

I have been reading up on mold making, and these processes for the past couple of years. I have been doing allot of polly urethane work recently and I have been working with fiberglass for the better part of the last 5 years, working on speaker box enclosures, door panels, making molds of my buddies car for his RX8 head lights, and such. I tried to get a couple of shops that will remain nameless, to produce these side skirts, since they make several other kits for the MX already, but with no luck. and no one else wants to step up to the plate to make these. so I thought I could give one run, and if it works out and there is alot more intrest i could get better molds made. im working on new rear mud guards and a front lip as well.
I know everyone is real sketchy when it comes to this stuff after Marshmallow's crap. so I defiantly under stand all the questions. I have found a really reliable source that’s helping me out. And they generally make surf boards, but allot of the same concepts still apply.
PATDIESEL wrote:I could see these being made by someone in their spare time for 250, using the right materials, with a proper mold, and still making some good money.
Trust me thats why i needed at least 4 people to do the GB, as it cost almost 500 even for all the proper supplies, to do it rite.
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

i would buy them and im very sure many others will. whenever people post them up for sale, they are as hot as flies on sh!t.

gb is hard to organize on mx-3.com but im sure if u make a few at a time maybe to keep a small constant supply on hand i know it will pay for itself after a while.
94blaze1.6

Post by 94blaze1.6 »

anybody has a link to a pic with these on a car? never seen em before...
95 RS so far just a paintjob, rims suspension next then turbo...
Image I have turbo dreams and detanation nightmares
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Here is a shot (Taras, hope you don't mind :) ):

I really want the GB to go through, I am putting money asside for this.
rece

Post by rece »

just wondering, but what is the timeframe for the skirts, cus I would like to have my car done for the spring as i have the lip the rear skirts, all i need to complete the package is side skirts.
Jesse<BR>red 92 gs
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

solo_ryder wrote:
I really want the GB to go through, I am putting money asside for this.
x2

i just reread the first thread... 20% down isnt too much money. $45 deposit sounds reasonable.
Last edited by Steeb on December 14th, 2006, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
94blaze1.6

Post by 94blaze1.6 »

I am interested and will paypal the deposit whenever you are ready. I have complete trust in Josh even though I never dealth with him personaly.

Mike
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

beginning of Jan, im going to order up the stuff for the molds, then im going to fab one set, for a test run. after that i will get permission from the Mods to start a GB. and as a set finnishes i will be starting another one. i am perdicting maybe 1 to 2 sets a week. maybe more. but by spring most definatly. maybe we will do two runs, one for the people who want them this winter, and the others that want them in the spring.
94blaze1.6

Post by 94blaze1.6 »

Wicked! I wont need mine until March or even April...
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

sweet!

any chance of making a front lip?
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

Count me in aswell.
That is, if you could do shipping to Norway :)

-n
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::

Return to “New Product Development”