What is a good turbo for Mx-3

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
CalgaryMx-3Guy

What is a good turbo for Mx-3

Post by CalgaryMx-3Guy »

Which used turbo's fit, and work well, with the mx-3? I know you can pull some out of 90's saab's and volvo's but which do you think is best?
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

This question is like asking what tire fits your car. NOTHING will fit on your car without modifications. Most guys run VJ series turbos or t3 turbos. You should post what engine you have, what mods you have, what transmission you have, and what horsepower goals you have.
I am currently running a garrett ball bearing GT2871R...which would totally suck on a stock motor...but with mods it will be producing over 300whp. With my motor stock I ran a t3 turbo on stock internals and got a touch over 200whp.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Note: the GT28/71R will push well over 300 HP too.
You size the turbo by what power you want in the end and what range of RPM you want that power at.
I suggest buying "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell and read it cover to cover before you buy anything. If you don't like to read, then don't even attempt a turbo set-up. Finish the book and read it until you understand it. Then you'll build a bad-a-- setup without asking open ended questions and be all the smarter for it. :wink:
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Boris

Post by Boris »

Pat, how detailed does this book get? I'm really interested in buying it. I have basic turbo knowledge, does this teach you pretty much everything you need to know about turbos??
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

It will teach more than you can understand. It is hands down the turbo bible. I've read it twice and could read it 5 more times and still not retain all that he explains. It would help to have a working knowledge, but the ZE hasn't gotten the funding approved for a turbo yet. :wink:
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
sampsonmx3sv

Post by sampsonmx3sv »

t3
CalgaryMx-3Guy

Post by CalgaryMx-3Guy »

hmmm sounds interesting. its a bit of a drag to do a whole read. I have all stock parts and havent modded anything yet. tho i figure a new tranny would be order with a turbo. what do you think?
Boris

Post by Boris »

How much HP you hope to have? What are you wanting to turbo (what engine)
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

cjthor wrote:You should post what engine you have, what mods you have, what transmission you have, and what horsepower goals you have.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

I'll be using a GT32 on my sohc turbo project i wouldn't mind going bigger iam not lookinf for driveablity, realabilty, longjiveabilty am looking for all out power the 1.6 sohc can make. i want a 350whp sohc if i get more better for me.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

Hey Lime...put a Full Race GT3567R on it...hehehehe NASTY big power turbo!!!!!

It is a GT35R turbine and center section with a T-67HO compressor wheel and housing. Flows for 700+WHP

Friend of mine has it on a GSR engine in Civic Hatch...full boost by 6K and blows the street tires off even on the dyno with a LSD diff! Keep telling him he'll have to go the same route I did and use larger diameter tires to optimize his gear ratios for traction! My car was blowing off 225/45-R16's even at 120MPH! Now with the 245/50-R16's it hooks REALLY well on the street even at full power (GT3076R)! The GT32 will easily get you the 350WHP as long as you crank up the boost and don't skimp on the intercooler or exhaust. I've found that 3" downpipe with Magnaflow 3" cat (21" long and half is a velocity increasing resonator) and 3.5" cat back works REALLY well through the entire power band! The Magnaflow cat mentioned above gained a good 15-20lb/ft of low end torque and didn't seem to lose any HP on the top end! Also cuts DB's by about 6 or so!

As for what turbo is best.....it depends mainly on what the car is used for as Lime mentioned....kinda
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

with the 2 projects i am doing a gt32 was all i could afford at the time i should've waited but i wanted it ordered. i would have like to put a SC 61 or smaller than an sc6769. there are some cars here in san antonio making some mad power out of that turbo. I would mind a GT35R i like that ball bearing sound but oh well. the sohc is the best engine mazda made. i just want to make that engine move down the strip.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
666raCing

Post by 666raCing »

i'm going to get a KLZE in the spring and wanted to turbo it right away. i really just want maximum power with this thing. what's a suggested turbo for the KLZE?
92 Mazda MX-3 GS
zCat

Post by zCat »

Ah! Now the ball's in zCat's court!
My other car is a 95 Probe GT with aftermarket turbo, and I am pretty involved in the Probe community too (don't laugh...haha). First, BE CAREFUL turboing a ZE as the compression ratio is 10:1. You should either lower static comp or run less boost and retard ignition timing. It's up to you.
As for the type of turbo to use (to actually answer your question), every time I hear someone mention turboing a Probe with the KL03 or KLZE I always hear T3/T04e hybrid. Go for it.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

T3/to4e is great for DE/ZE. i use one my self : ). Also boosting a ZE is great, just make sure you know what your doing on the tuning side of it cause u have a lil less room for error because of the compression is higher, although you do get more power per psi of boost then the DE(03). im lovin mine.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.

Return to “Forced Induction”