MX3s Can't Drift...Good!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Red Egg

Post by Red Egg »

Honda's FWD gives it superior traction to the Mustang. I used to drive a V8 5.0 Mustang and it had the worst handling, traction, and brakes I've ever experienced. It was fun to drive, but it was an accident waiting to happen. My MX3 GS is head and shoulders above it in handling, braking, and usable power.

In most cases for street cars, wings are for styling purposes and have little aerodynamic benefit. "Passenger vehicles, which are mostly front-wheel drive currently, have debatable gains from any theoretical increase in traction that might be provided by a rear spoiler simply because of the low speeds permitted on public roads. However, some feel a well designed spoiler can enhance a car's appearance." (Wikipedia)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Boris wrote:hahaha the civic's large wing helps it get traction in the snow. That's hillarious, you must pick on that guy so much.
Actually this guy is the one who's picking/frustrates me all the time.
He said he wants to "street race" me because he is the "street racer". He used to race on streets of LA (according to me). Basically guy is one of those fast and the furious ricers.
When I offered him (numerous times) to go to SRP and do it on the track, he said "its no fun". Guy is full of s--- and it frustrates me lol
When I told the guy it's gonna take more than his civic to race he said he'll get his (buddy's/cousins, etc) VR4. I told him the point is to race your own car not someone else's. He also mentions he could 'fix up' his civic :overnight' with headers (told him that his civic has one header, so it wouldn't be headers. He calls each tube header so its "headers" to him), chip, intake, etc.
Oh ya, he told me today that he can get special headers from Japan that they don't have here. (apparently its DC header) He said "they're so special that they even come with VIN #" Im like what, you mean model number. He's like no, a VIN number like on a car. Im like well what does V stand for.... He didn't say nothing. I just love true fast and furious guys from Cali.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Red Egg wrote:Honda's FWD gives it superior traction to the Mustang. I used to drive a V8 5.0 Mustang and it had the worst handling, traction, and brakes I've ever experienced. It was fun to drive, but it was an accident waiting to happen. My MX3 GS is head and shoulders above it in handling, braking, and usable power.

In most cases for street cars, wings are for styling purposes and have little aerodynamic benefit. "Passenger vehicles, which are mostly front-wheel drive currently, have debatable gains from any theoretical increase in traction that might be provided by a rear spoiler simply because of the low speeds permitted on public roads. However, some feel a well designed spoiler can enhance a car's appearance." (Wikipedia)
what was build on the stang? Do you consider yourself a good driver? what was wrong with the car, maybe you needed to fix it up before actually driving it, you know.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
mitmaks

Re: MX3s Can't Drift...Good!

Post by mitmaks »

Red Egg wrote:Since drift cars are usually sporty rear-wheel-drive cars, it is assumed that the front-wheel drive MX3 cannot drift like the Honda S2000, Miata, or RX7. This actually proves the advantage of front-wheel drive and its superior control. Films like "The Fast and the Furious, Toronto Drift" fail to show the benefits of front-wheel drive. Drifting is simply driving fast around corners without the complete control of a front-wheel drive. Driving on ice or snow provides the same effect; making snow donuts in a parking lot. The superior front-wheel drive control is one more advantage of the MX3. 8)
good driver can drift mx3
Nd4SpdSe

Re: MX3s Can't Drift...Good!

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mitmaks wrote:good driver can drift mx3
By definition, FWD can only 4-wheel drift. Any other way is sliding, or as some call it, a-- dragging.
Red Egg wrote:Honda's FWD gives it superior traction to the Mustang. I used to drive a V8 5.0 Mustang and it had the worst handling, traction, and brakes I've ever experienced. It was fun to drive, but it was an accident waiting to happen. My MX3 GS is head and shoulders above it in handling, braking, and usable power.
That's just starting the argument all over again. What had been said has been said and I'm not going there again
Red Egg wrote:In most cases for street cars, wings are for styling purposes and have little aerodynamic benefit. "Passenger vehicles, which are mostly front-wheel drive currently, have debatable gains from any theoretical increase in traction that might be provided by a rear spoiler simply because of the low speeds permitted on public roads. However, some feel a well designed spoiler can enhance a car's appearance." (Wikipedia)
Rear wings aren't really about traction but stability. Most people laught at wings on FWd, but even then, how useful is a wing on a RWD? Yes, on RWD the power is going to the rear wheels, but when you need traction, it's usually at low speeds, or stand-still, but at a stand-still, there is to wind to create downforce to add traction. At high-speeds where downforce is promanent, unless you have crazy power, adding traction isn't really helpful since you typically can't brake it. Winds and spoilers are added to the front and the back for stability. Any platform, FWD, RWD & AWD can suffer from understeer and oversteer, or both. These attributes usually occur at high-speeds. Adding and tweaking them can change the vehicles characteristics, usually for the better, or according to the drivers preferences. Although a RWD naturally wants to oversteer, it far from means that a FWD doesn't want to. But as well, a wing on any drivetrain layout is basically useless on public roads at legal speeds
Last edited by Nd4SpdSe on December 9th, 2006, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
e2blade

Post by e2blade »

Bull crap the mx-3 cant drift

But its more like a-- dragging

but still

sence the car is a short wheel base

it gets sideways easy

:)

need proof?

i have videos :D
Boris

Post by Boris »

haha i love a-- draggin the mx3! Believe it or not I've had some pretty good drifts in the mx...Just gotta throw the car the right way and it'll drift pretty nicely.

And mitmaks, that civic guy sounds like a real tool. I've talked to people like that and I can't even describe how much i frustrated me. Especially when they're driving mommy & daddy's civic lol.
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
hharb

Post by hharb »

I fishtailed mine by accident about two weeks ago, it felt awesome, can't do it agin tho :S, so yes u can drift an mx3 if you know what you're doing, and omg you guys are killing me comparing ferraris, rx7s and porches to the mx3, the cheapest of these cars can be traded for 4 good mx3s, while you guys are considering weight and hp in comparing, why dont u try and consider the price first, man most rwd are so expensive so fast and awesome to drive, so any of us would take an rx7 or a porche over an mx3, the point is that this beautiful car called mx3 does a great job for 1500$, i bought my new awesome KLZE for $1500 and its MINT, now the brakes upgrade on a porche is $10000. so baiscally i could buy at least 5 mx3s for the price of the brake upgrade on a porche lol.
Red Egg

Post by Red Egg »

mitmaks wrote: what was build on the stang? Do you consider yourself a good driver? what was wrong with the car, maybe you needed to fix it up before actually driving it, you know.
That car is long gone now. It was a late 1970s Ford Mustang 5.0 and looked something like this:

It was actually my Grandfather's and he lent it to me on weekends when I was in high school. It was really fun to drive, but I felt it wasn't as safe as my current MX3 because of the loose handling and braking. I am sure the new Mustangs are a lot better. I thought the tires were too small for such a big V8.

This car had so much power that the front hood would pop up when you "floored it". You could "lay a patch" like nobody's business!
Last edited by Red Egg on December 9th, 2006, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red Egg

Post by Red Egg »

I read somewhere that FWD cars can drift or fishtail if the handbrake is used correctly. According to Wikipedia "the skilled driver can control the movement of the [FWD] car even while skidding by steering, throttling and pulling the hand brake." Sounds like something best left to professional rally drivers! (or picture #4 in the comic strip below would be the result!)

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Red Egg wrote:I read somewhere that FWD cars can drift or fishtail if the handbrake is used correctly. According to Wikipedia "the skilled driver can control the movement of the [FWD] car even while skidding by steering, throttling and pulling the hand brake." Sounds like something best left to professional rally drivers!
They called it skidding, which is the same as slidding, a$$ dragging, whatever. A true drift is a throttle controlled slide. Although a FWD can get the rear end to slide out, as a rally drive would to rotate the car around a corner, that slide cannot be sustained. Eventually the rear of the car looses momentum and it come back. With RWD (and AWD) the rear wheels have power, and with that power can keep the rear loose and the car rotating. The reason why a FWD car can't drift is the same reason why FWD can't do donuts. If you can't do a donut, you can't drift, plain and simple. You may see professionals use the brake or e-brake when drifting, but it's only to initiate the drift, or to adjust their drift, not to sustain it. Same would definitely apply to rally drivers.

Yes, you can get the rear to slide out on an Mx-3. When autocrossing this year at the Bronto Go Station, on my second session, I got some tips from other drivers and tried a few things to improve cornering. I significantly dropped my rear tires pressure down to 25psi (normally runs at 45psi). After the first slalom section i had already noticed the rear was loose. and I came to the first corner. I had carried momentum from the slalom that my rear came totally loose, I got almost completely sideways. My arms were flailing (I hit the wiper switch and knocked my deck remote off my steering wheel), but with countersteer and giving it some gas, I pulled out of the slide (and proudly enough, didn't hit a cone). From there on in I used that to my advantage and used my Mx-3 now's tendancy to oversteer to rotate the car around the corners instead of understeering. All I needed to do was flick the wheel, no brake or e-brake needed.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Sometimes I wonder if people realize the difference between tires screeching through a turn and actually drifting, since I always hear kids say "oh ya, i was totally drifting my honda through this turn" etc etc. There is a huge difference in feel once you get past the breaking point of the tire. Last year (almost exactly) I was being an idiot with old tires that needed replacement, I took a 20mph turn at just under 80 and wiped out. I managed to hold some control, taking the entire turn sideways, ending up at the end of the turn (it carves 200 degrees) in the wrong lane facing a completely arbitrary direction (i could have died... don't speed people). Even though I took the turn sideways I was losing speed the entire time, which is hardly benificial when racing. It's possible to drive sideways, it's just reallyreally hard to control, and theres no point (that I can find).
Boris

Post by Boris »

i love a-- draggin fwd cars. I find it really easy to control, too. You can throw yourself totally sideways, and recover pretty easily with by throttling at the right amount.

Drifting in a rwd is way more fun... at my job I've had the chance of trying that once so far on a 911 turbo and it was incredible Made me really sad that I didn't own a porsche, though.
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Red Egg wrote:Image

And if you thing RWD is so bad in the snow, I'd like to see an mx-3 go up against these:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4578106603
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3981877229
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

and omg you guys are killing me comparing ferraris, rx7s and porches to the mx3, the cheapest of these cars can be traded for 4 good mx3s
No one is arguing or debating the value of a FWD car.. the debate has been what handles better or drifts better.. RWD or FWD. FWD is great for daily driving.. but anyone that thinks it can hang in the realm of the supercars for handling is just plain insane or stupid. You can say lighter weight is faster and handles better till the cows come home.. and heck.. if thats what you have to rationalize to yourself to make yourself feel good.. what the heck. But I can make my entire argument by pointing at the ferraris, porsche's, bugatti's, etc.. the list of super cars is quite extensive.. and not ONE model offered by ANY of them is a FWD car. Heck even Mazda knows that and made their RX7's RWD. Its not about cost.. its about performance. The MX-3 is quite possibly the best handling FWD car around.. especially after suspension tuning.. its rear suspension was ahead of its time and is still in use on many FWD cars today. But it will never hang with the big guys.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”