Weird Engine Problems, some help would be nice

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Rydin1

Weird Engine Problems, some help would be nice

Post by Rydin1 »

OK here we go:

Im in NH so its starting to get reall cold. When i start my car, it will idle at about 2000-25000, really high, after i drive it for a good 15 minutes, and i am stopped, it will idle at 2500, drop to 1000, and keep doing this over and over again, then after about 20 minutes of driving its perfectly fine. Any ideas as to what might be going on here?

I took off the cap and ran it with the heat on high for a while to get any air out of there, but that didnt seem to help. It seems like its just the cold weather thats killing it.

also, is this really bad to be driving like that?
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Sounds like you IAC valve is not funcitoning right. It would be come wors ein colder weather. Its on your TB (under it)

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

What is the temperature gauge doing? Have you change the coolant over the summer. It sounds like the coolant mix is off and you have to much water and not enough anti freeze. What happens is the water freezes around the thermostat and temp sensors to the ECU. As the ice melts it lets shots of warm water past the temp sensor making the ECU is warm then cold freaking it out until the ice is gone.
Rydin1

Post by Rydin1 »

Yoda wrote:What is the temperature gauge doing? Have you change the coolant over the summer. It sounds like the coolant mix is off and you have to much water and not enough anti freeze. What happens is the water freezes around the thermostat and temp sensors to the ECU. As the ice melts it lets shots of warm water past the temp sensor making the ECU is warm then cold freaking it out until the ice is gone.
My temp gauge has been acting weird lately too actually. It will shoot all the way up, but no heat or anything will come out of the vents, once the heat kicks on tho the temp gauge goes back down to normal. I figured that the temp gauge is going or allready broken.

maybe 4 weeks ago my engine was over heating and i had no choice but to put some water in there to keep it cool. Could that be the reason why this is happening because of that water?

What would be the best thing to do? should i be worried that driving it like this is is going to hurt it? I
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

yea sounds like its freezing cause u got water in it...go buy some coolant and put it in there.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”