block differences

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mr_Shorty

block differences

Post by Mr_Shorty »

just wondering what the difference between just the blocks are, from the k8 to the ze. i might be getting handme down internals. so if i have a bare k8 and ze internals what would be required to make this run.
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

So you're wanting to bore the K8 block to 2.5L? I'd have to take apart the K8 sitting in my driveway to see how it compares to the KL engines, but, it hardly seems worth it and I don't know if that would even work.

Edit: Are we talking ZE as in KL-ZE or ZE as in K8-ZE?
Last edited by Custom_V6_Limited_SE on December 1st, 2006, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Rods are diff
Crank is diff
Cylinder bore is diff

You'd have to bore out the cylinders to use ZE pistons. I'd use a KL block before Id use a K8 block. Youd also have to use K8 heads, which IMO would be a waste of time, knowing you could get more power and a cheaper build by using a KL block and Millenia/KLZE heads.
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

well the thing is im rebuilding my klze, now having basically a extra set of internals i was thinking of dropping them into one of the extra k8 motors sitting around (have 5 of them).

i was either going to use this extra stuff in ty's car or throw it into my winter 323. the left over parts will be cams, pistons, con rods, crank, etc. the only thing i dont have extra of is the heads on millenia intake.

well i guess the question is should i just take a k8 block and rebuild it, then use the new parts and transfer over the klze heads and millenia i.m. leaving the klze block alone then slapping the k8 heads over with the extra klze cams. this would save time and a little bit of money if i am going to play with the 323.

as far as i can tell the blocks are the same, just bored out different? does anybody know.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

from what i have read on here you cannot bore the K8 block big enough to take KL pistons and you cant use KL heads on a K8 block because the valves will not clear the cyl walls
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

I think that the problem of the valves clearing the cylinder walls would depend upon the whether or not the clyinders are bored to 2.5L. It needs to be verified whether or not it is possible to bore the block that much...
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

Ive had two PM's over this god know why but the answers are on the net

No NO NO and NO!

K8 block will not rebore to KLZE spec's
KLZE heads will not SEAL! or have clearance on a K8 block
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”